Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silly Land Rovers that don't go properly  (Read 3940 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Silly Land Rovers that don't go properly
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
Hey up Miri has the OH got the Series 2 to start up yet? It's all gone very quiet! :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sandy

Re: Silly Land Rovers that don't go properly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:25 pm »
Would love one but my head say's NO!!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
Sandy, your head is wrong don't listen to it.

Wizard, I'm afraids its quiet as nothing much is happening.  He's been cleaning the chassis and has now borrowed a jetwash to finish it off.  Will it blow half the nuts and bolts away?!!

There does seem to have been a fair few number of Landrover related parcels arriving in the last couple of weeks, but don't know whats been going on!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:49 pm »
Just spoke to OH.  Says he's planning to finish the chassis and then concentrate on the engine.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:56:29 pm »
Would it not have been cheaper to buy another one? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
They're like children - you have to lavish time and love on them and then cherish the results (assuming my OH does a decent job of course!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »
a car's a car!  ;) It goes putt putt and takes you from A to B ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »
But thats like saying a dog is a dog!  So not true.  All cars are just cars and then there's Landrover Series!!!! ;D ;D

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:24:28 pm »
 ;)a landrover is not a car bt ant strech of the imagination ::)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:58:49 pm »
Would it not have been cheaper to buy another one? ;)

That's missing the point!

I'm presently making arrangements for my older Land Rover (a 1964 SWB) to be rebuilt with a new galvanised chassis.  I'm well aware it will cost several times the value of the car, but it means that when my present Landie needs replaced I will have the next one waiting.

The same thing applies to Grey Ferguson tractors - the cost of a rebuild will exceed the market value, but sentiment justifies the cost.

I suspect that every vintage or classic vehicle in existence has had more than it's value spent on it at some time, just to keep it going through the point where it's value was negligible.  If nobody did this, there would be no historic vehicles at all.  The same is true for good furniture - most antiques that are a couple of hundred years old will have had expensive repairs or restorations done, probably at a time when their relative value was quite low.  Certainly my great-grandfather's barometer has had some of it's inlay replaced within my memory, to keep it looking as the maker intended, and my parent's furniture has been recovered as required.

John

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:33:39 pm »
So does the value of a landy increase with age as antique furniture does? ;D

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
So does the value of a landy increase with age as antique furniture does? ;D

No, but they don't depreciate either.  Actually, the early Series 1 Land Rovers (1948 - 1958) have increased in value in recent years, and Series 2 Landrovers (1958 - 1971) have started to creep up too, as they become less common.

Not all antique furniture is valuable - often a favourite piece is restored just because the owner likes it & wants to keep it in nice condition.  It's called sustainable living rather than a disposable society?

John

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:12 pm »
I suppose everytthing has value - just not necessarily monetary

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS