Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weird experience  (Read 4182 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Weird experience
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »
Hi,
This morning I was sitting in the living room, checking my e mails, with the TV on, I wasn't paying any attention to the TV whatsoever, when suddenly I could smell the most intense smell of curry, not just a whiff but the most wonderful aroma  :hungry: :hungry: when I looked up at the TV the presenter was talking about the spices he was putting in his curry powder, I thought it was just my imagination because the guy mentioned curry, but the aroma lasted for about 5 mins.
This got me thinking   :thinking: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have imagined the smell for a full 5 mins, so I started wondering if someone was experimenting with smelly vision  :idea: now I know this sounds crazy, BUT my TV is connected to the Internet, and if I can download videos from the wireless router that travel across the room and onto my laptop without me seeing or hearing it happen, then surely it could be possible to transmit a smell that I could detect.
I mentioned this to my partner, who now keeps asking me if I can smell anything, when something that would have an aroma comes on the TV, and of course I can't, he now thinks I have totally lost the plot, but I am convinced something happened.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? Or am I really starting to go a little crazy. :surrender:
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Weird experience
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:18:22 pm »
I've not had this..but the first thing that came to mind was if it starts happening more often I'd have a quick trip to the doctors just for a check up as it can be a sign of certain disorders/illnesses. The program on the tv may of just been a coincidence, who knows, I suffer from bouts of sinusitis so rarely smell much  ;)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 06:24:29 pm »
Curry deficiency?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »
You once told me you were the only one who likes curry in your house if my memory serves me well, so this indeed is a strange happening. The only thing that comes to mind is the curry fairys lol.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:17 pm »
 Dunno if they can do that , but be thankful the program on tv wasn't about sewage treatment ! lol .

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:22 pm »
Maybe your brain was subconsciously picking up the words on the TV and told your nose that it could smell curry. It's an amazing thing, the human brain.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:38:15 pm »
I know exactly what you mean.
Every few years or so, I get a strong and distinct smell of cigarette smoke for 2-3 minutes.  Thing is I am a life time non-smoker and nobody has been smoking in my house for the 30 years I have lived there.
Nobody else can smell it & its nothing to do with the tv.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:35 pm »
There is a thing called synesthesia - the production of a sense impression relating to one sense or part of the body by stimulation of another sense or part of the body. It is rare and very strange and can be things like seeing colours or smells associated with hearing words. You never know maybe your brain just made the connection.
[/size]
[/size]Helen
[/size] :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:13 pm »
If you do get weird smells at weird times again, do please check with the doc.  As has been said, it can be an early indicator.

Hopefully it's just that clever brain working overtime!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
I get some smells that aren't there - usually body odour that has me sniffing at my clothes - but it is due to the medication I am on.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:49 am »
Years ago, walking up some stairs in an office block, I was stopped in my tracks by the unmistakable smell of my mother's  fruit buns cooking. Only for a few seconds but I wish now that I had 'phoned to ask her was she making some.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS