Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Misty is in pup  (Read 4268 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Misty is in pup
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:31:22 am »
 ;D The scanner estimates 5.  I will dig out the whelping box today to get the blindies used to it but they will be separated when the pups are near. She is due 5th March.  I have had her on puppy food since she was served and add an egg and a dash of oil.  I am worried about her overweight as she was 16 kilos when served and she should be between 12 and 15 kilos.  I hadnt realised she had put on so much weight.  I read that she should have the volume of a pint jar in dog food, 2/3rds if its dry food I and following that.  Misty is a pet and had a litter easily a few years ago. I don't want to be complacent though and I want her to have the maximum chance of an easy delivery. Any advice would be gratefully received
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:33:33 am by Kitchen Cottage »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Misty is in pup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »
Slimming would be a good idea for an easy birth, sooner rather than later as there is a far time to go yet. Lots of lead walks would do no harm and a more appropriate diet! Mine just get the normal complete dog food until they have whelped and then I do give puppy food as yes the weight drops off them.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »
Puppy food is recommended because of its nutritional value. Why the comment and explanation mark? I feed her this because it is recommended and therefore 'appropriate' for a pregnant bitch.  If I am wrong please tell me why.  As for lead walks she freeroams on the smallholding and never stops.  The problem isn't exercise it's greed and stealing the blindies food.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:45 pm »
I've always been told normal food and normal rations until scanned and then only a tiny increase in the amount up to whelping - more important to increase # of meals - the majority of calories are needed for milk to grow them not "cooking them" - big puppies = whelping problems :) The majority of people I know don't use puppy food as they have had bitches with diarrhoea lose condition and get very poorly and have also had bitches who just ballooned in weight. (As an aside, mine are raw fed so no such thing as puppy food!)
Do you have "Book of the Bitch"?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:10 pm »
Puppy food is recommended because of its nutritional value. Why the comment and explanation mark? I feed her this because it is recommended and therefore 'appropriate' for a pregnant bitch.  If I am wrong please tell me why.  As for lead walks she freeroams on the smallholding and never stops.  The problem isn't exercise it's greed and stealing the blindies food.

Well generally, feeding puppy food would not be needed in an adult in early pregnancy (if at all) I would not recommend it. As you ask directly I would say you have been wrong to feed the diet plus egg and oil by definition as you say it has led her to gain weight. The "nutritional value" has been too high and not appropriate for your bitch as an individual, recommended or not, if was appropriate she would not have gained weight to cause you worry at least until the pregnancy developed.

If exercise cannot be increased it seems the only way to reduce her weight if you are concerned is to change to a less energy dense (more appropriate) adult diet at least for a while or feed significantly less - or she will not loose weight. The egg and oil are certainly not needed (no explanation mark :&>)

I took your post to mean you were concerned about her weight gain and were asking opinions/advice ref. diet and slimming to avoid over size puppies and c-section? Could you clarify or maybe re-word? As I gather from your reply that I (and it seems nutterly_uts) have miss-interpreted you and both commented and used one of these > ! Somewhere   

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »
Congratulations  :)
Ahh it would of been better for her/pups/birth for mum to be at optimum fitness prior to mating, I keep the food the same up until 5/6 weeks gestation, changing on to puppy food for the last 3 weeks only. You really don't want to be over feeding at any point through the pregnancy. I'd ditch the egg & oil. No additional supplements at all. I used book of the bitch for our first litter! Good luck!

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:48 pm »
Thank you everyone. Egg and oil will be ditched.  They aren't a pregnancy addition but have a lot of calories.  I will keep her on puppy food ascshe is used to it but will portion control it more.  My other dogs are on a working breed mis (although they arent working and are oldies the vet recommended it as nutritionally sound) so any advice on whether to put her back on that would be appreciated. I want her delivery as easy as possible.

Thank you all!  ;)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »
All the best with it I'm sure it will be fine  :thumbsup:!

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:42 am »
Well, she is now just on the dry mix, which is NOT her favourite.  She doesn't seem to like the puppy food at all.  Half a carton of low fat cottage cheese has been recommended.  She is 34 days gestation today.  Any thoughts.  I have separated her from the blindies during the day, though it sounds like Luca is barking alot over the baby gate in objection to loss of his sofa and demotion to the kitchen. 

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:50 am »
Definitely recommend the Book of the Bitch.
She'll eat the dry puppy food when she's hungry.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:21:59 pm »
Better to lose weight in the middle and then maintain towards the end, stick to your guns

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 03:36:37 pm »
Book of the Bitch ebayed  :)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:09 am »
Having pups is so much fun and rewarding but such hard work to do it properly too. I have had three litters - have fed the bitches normally from what I can remember - just changing to the puppy food a few weeks before the pups are born. I always feed to condition. Purina seems to have some sound advice
http://www.purina.co.uk/content/your-dog/feeding-your-dog/the-right-food-for-your-dog/feeding-your-pregnant-dog
You don't want big pups as it can lead to problems and a possible c section - but if the bitch is in good condition and fitness this will help.
Good luck :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:21 pm »
I never change my bitch's food intake during pregnancy. I worm from 40 days and I don't change it after either. Depends on the dog and their weight. she had the same walks right through also and probably only in last few days she sometimes didn't want to go. Never had any problems.

I agree with cutting back and trying to knock some weight off to help birth and her joints. Best of luck and can't wait to see photos.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS