Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toxoplasmosis  (Read 1498 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Toxoplasmosis
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:50:37 pm »
Article in The Scottish Farmer saying that shepherds with a flock barren rate of more than 2% can get a subsidised test for toxo.It's available until the end of March 2015.

EweCheck data from 2014 showed that 85% of flocks tested had been exposed to toxoplasmosis, which is the main infectious cause of early embryo loss in sheep and a cause of abortion, barrenness and weak lambs.

I'm not sure hhow they would deal with smallflocks - what's 2% of 6? But if you are concerned, have a chat with your vet.

We started vaccinating for toxo and EA two years ago and I wonder if our improved scan rate is attributable to that.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Toxoplasmosis
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
When I started in sheep up here, our vet said to just avoid kittens, and we'd be fine.  Trouble is, one can't legislate for kittens next door!   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Toxoplasmosis
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »
I think that this applies to English flocks too----I have tested for free in the past under a similar scheme
Ask your vet for details I guess

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS