Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: has anyone got newborn lambs at the moment?  (Read 2471 times)

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
has anyone got newborn lambs at the moment?
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:22:31 am »
I'm a little bored at the moment and have some fleece material left over from making something else.
So I thought I might make some lamb jackets just for the fun.

I'd like to do a range of sizes so this is where I need you lot.

If you can state the breed, measure the length of the lambs back from the base of the neck to the tail head and around its rib cage from just behind it's front legs.

TIA

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: has anyone got newborn lambs at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:51:39 am »
The problem is, they grow!  And the more they grow, the harder they are to catch! 

The little plastic jackets will rip and fall off if you aren't able to catch a lamb to remove it, but a fleecey one wouldn't grow with the lamb and would become constricting in a very short space of time.

Unless I've got completely the wrong end of the stick?  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:06 am »
I have relatively new lambs at the moment, 1 week old and 2 weeks old.

However they would never need a jacket and are not remotely catchable and are running around the fields like deer, also they are growing so very fast that jackets would only fit for a day or two.....

Sorry!

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »
I just want them for the first day or two. We have coats for the calves made by the vet and the benefits are great. Just want it in case I get a weak or ill lamb and just for fun!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:20:27 pm »
Sounds fun, I hope you find some lambs! you may find more around spring time  :excited:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:12:57 pm »
They can be helpful for weak orphans.  I cut the sleeves off an old lambswool jumper to make jackets for a pair of day olds a local farmer gave me to look after.  Only needed them for a few days till they perked up a bit.

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:01 pm »
I have cut the toe out of chunky socks for weak lambs that are sometimes a wee bit early,after a few days they no longer need,but are in a pen ,they work well and add extra warmth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS