Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nigerian dwarf  (Read 5948 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Nigerian dwarf
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:27:07 pm »
Sounds like an ideal little milk goat so I read on Internet, looks like they all in America typical

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Nigerian dwarf
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »
Yeah, none over here I'm afraid! I think they would tricky to milk anyway, think of the tiny stool you would need to sit on.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:23 pm »
How funny - I had a  text today from a friend who is thinking of getting some.  I did find some in this country by googling Nigerian dwarf goats for sale uk. None available atm and no idea of price.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:50:01 pm »
Apparently a good milking goat.. Don't have any problems milking them what I have seen on YouTube

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »
The smaller the goat the more difficult to assist them if they are having difficulties during kidding. Quite a few pygmy goats have to have C-sections where a larger goat would just need a hand inside to help re-arrange things. Just one thing to bear in mind if you are thinking about more unusual goats.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »
A lot of UK Pygmies have Nigerian in them its just that when the PG Club was begun there was some discussion whether to seperate the breeds but it was decided just to call all miniture goats " pygmy" and gradually they were bred shorter and squarer because thats what people liked.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:50 am »
I realise I am resurrecting this out of the archives but it seemed the most appropriate place to post.
I have had my small ‘pygmy’ herd for 7 years, they are all registered ‘pygmy goats’ but I have often had thought re pygmy v Nigerian dwarf and what jinglejoys makes sense – how did I miss this post at the time.
As some of you will know we do take our goats to shows it is virtually always that the smaller, stocky, wide chested, square back end goat does better than the slightly slimmer, longer backed goat.
My findings (for what it’s worth) are that the longer backed goat (which I am attributing to the Nigerian Dwarf) kids without trouble and the Pygmy is the one who has issues. Even though I enjoy showing I am not going to breed to get shorter and shorter as I would much rather a productive animal who didn’t need medical intervention to kid. It also makes sense on the milk production front – we had Prue who reared chunky triplets on her own and always seemed to have tons of milk (often ‘spurting out’ if she sat down).
Looking at the images online there are obviously 2 different breeds which here have been lumped together as one but the original traits seem clear in some.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS