Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unusual facts about cats!  (Read 3656 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
unusual facts about cats!
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:46 am »
Did you ever wonder?
Purr-haps you think you know a thing or two about cats, but did you know these fun facts?  They’ve hunted 33 species to extinction, their urine glows under black light, and they’re capable of birthing 100 kittens over a lifetime.  You’ll never look at your kitty the same way again.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: unusual facts about cats!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »
the black light thing.. who thought of that and why would you?? lol

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:52 pm »
Cats can be sneaky about NOT using a litter tray .. for houses with persistant cat pee smells the black light is ace at finding the source to treat it :)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:41 am »
I'd like to think the 100 kittens in a lifetime thing is rather underestimated though as they can average 2-4 litters a year if left un-neutered & with the average litter size being 1-12 they could easily have 40 in 1 year & often I see cats in the vets in their late teens / early 20s although I think they tend to stop breeding around 10-12, but it's not unheard of to see a 15 year old cat with a litter.

The thing with them is their polyesterus which means they have many breeding seasons, & as soon as they have had a litter of kittens they can come back into season & be ready to be mated, so a cat with kittens can also be pregnant again while nursing. This is why it's important to neuter!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:25 am »
Cats can be sneaky about NOT using a litter tray .. for houses with persistant cat pee smells the black light is ace at finding the source to treat it :)

we had one who would pee in the log baskets and ash bucket...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
I had a Siamese who, providing the seat was down, would use the toilet bowl, very handy!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:04 pm »
I used to live in a shared house and my room mates cat used to pee in the sink :)

Also did you know (or so I have read) that cats have only learned to meow to communicate with humans - they dont meow to each other ;)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:08:26 pm »
They eat them in Switzerland! Yes, I didn't believe it either, google it.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:08 pm »
My female cat miaows to her offspring even now (12 years on) when she brings food in for them, so I'm not sure about them vocalising only to communicate with humans.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:26:25 am »
I tried that thing about anything you put on the floor in a circle the cat will sit in the circle. In my case it was tinsel while the decorations were going up.
I dont think anybody knows why but mine certainly did.

The cat below thinks its not a a cat.

http://twitter.com/gabbyzapata/status/526143743024308224/photo/1
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:17 am »
Cats have spikey penises - weird eh?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS