Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing wethers & rams together???  (Read 8129 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Introducing wethers & rams together???
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:30:44 pm »
We've just bought home a lovely friendly wether and want to put him in with our ram who we have separated from his girlfriends today.

I know rams can fight and need keeping in very tight quarters for a while until they accept each other, but is this the rule with wethers too?
Of course with the wether there is no testosterone so would our ram see him as a threat?

Never done this before so all help/ advice very much appreciated :)
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Introducing wethers & rams together???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »
I have not had a lot of experience of doing this, but a couple of years ago I took a large ram lamb away from his ewes and put him with about 3 wethers..... no problems as he saw them more as potential mates rather than rivals, so initially behaved as though they were new females.  Also earlier this year I collected a mature ram and put him with 2 wethers for about 3 months until lambing time, no problem there either.  So I think you will be OK, what does anyone else think?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:28 am »
Apart from the wether being endlessly humped  :o there will be no problems.  Generally, where a younger animal is introduced to an older one there is no problem.  The younger will automatically be submissive.  I wouldn't think you'd need to do the penning them close either.

When we took our tups (4) out from the ewes, we popped them back together with a handful of tup lambs and wethers, without all the usual palaver of penning, and after greeting each other happily, the whole flock settled back down to graze.  The two oldest tups had a very desultory horn pushing session, but there was no animosity to it, and the field has been sweetness and light ever since.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:09:33 am »
In my ignorance I thought that they only fought when there was something to fight over so I put Monty (ram) in with my freezer boys (2 ram lambs) yesterday (in a field well away from ewes) they had a head to head moment (no butting) and then got on with eating. Phew. :-)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:35 am »
Depends on the temperament of the individuals.  Can you run them each side of a common fence for a few days so they get used to each other without any bother?

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:46 am »
This puts my mind at rest greatly! At the moment poor Darwin (ram) is in a holding pen type thing so we can catch him easily, but the wether is so friendly he comes running up so no problems with him. He is in with the 3 ewes next door to darwins field. So should I just loose darwin out into his whole field so they can walk the fence line together?
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:18:18 am »
Yes I would do that, as it sounds as though you can catch the wether easily when the time comes to transfer him into Darwin's field.  It will also stop Darwin being stressed by being alone.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 03:35:26 pm »
I'd just put them in together, otherwise the ram might get frustrated.  The wether will have a bit of running to do (which if your wether is anything like mine (i.e. a bit fat!) will probably do it some good!) running away from the rams advances.  The ram will give up trying to mount the wether ... eventually. :)
Distract them with some fresh hay or something :).

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »
I've just taken Gordon the ram away from his girls and put him with 2 weathers and 2 ram lambs.  Gordon looked so lost until he found the bachelors that I think he was just grateful not to be alone.  I have not seen any fighting or mounting, I'm hoping Gordon shot all his bullets at the girls.
Never ever give up.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »
I have always found it fine

The rams just have hump buddies and the wethers seem to give in and enjoy it after a while 

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:57 am »
Hi Kate... how is it going?  Any update?

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 10:10:25 am »
I have one in with mine that managed to miss being taken in so was Fluke dosed so on withholding time and had no problems at all. :wave:

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 04:41:25 pm »
Thanks so much to everybody who commented and put my mind at rest. Larry & Darwin were introduced on tuesday and they've been absolutely fine together. Little doris is missing Larry a bit but she's making friends with our 2 Jacob ewes (who incidentally are becoming much friendlier themselves!)

Thanks again guys, and hope you've all had a great Christmas :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS