Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What breed for a prospective pig keeper ??  (Read 8071 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: What breed for a prospective pig keeper ??
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:32 am »
I kept, and may be about to buy some soon, large black pigs. I found them easy to handle, fantastic mothers and they are also a grazing pig so don't do massive amonts of damage to the land, provided they're moved regularly. they also produce awesomely flavoured meat. This is my opinion a word of warning if you keep loucester old spot pigs, they are traditionally an orchard pig and have to have a lot of space, I did read that they can become obese if they don't have a lot of space. Why not buy 3 pigs of the 3 breeds you like and at the end of a year decide which pig you like best.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:15:42 pm »
So Hash Hound..... what's it to be...?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:40 pm »
When you were little did you have  a set of toy farm animals? What kind of pig was there? Go with that kind. The pigs in my set were Saddlebacks and they've proven to be an excellent choice.

I've just spent the last hour trawling the internet looking for toy Large Blacks to put in my boys' stockings and I can't find them anywhere!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 10:56:49 pm »
We've got some in our for-the-nephews-and-nieces stuff... I think they're all Britains...

Did some digging, the Saddleback Pigs set comes with two Saddleback adults and 4 all-black piglets, if that's any good? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 07:38:01 am »
We've got some in our for-the-nephews-and-nieces stuff... I think they're all Britains...

Did some digging, the Saddleback Pigs set comes with two Saddleback adults and 4 all-black piglets, if that's any good?

Ooh, yes, I'll try those, thanks Sally.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 09:37:56 am »
We've tried OSBs - very noisy, Saddlebacks - quite slow to grow and meat not so good, so now returned to GOS.  Docile and excellent meat.  If they're going to slaughter you shouldn't have to worry about boars getting hard to handle or them getting fat if they don't have much space (which depends a lot on your feeding regime anyway). 

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 08:35:47 pm »
As an old pig farmer said to me once.'If you piss it off it'll have ya.' This was off course refering to any pig. ;D
Pick the breed you like and treat them right. The easiest going sow can change personallities if there's piglets about or being made to do something they don't want to do. Always make sure you have an escape route!!
My preference is the Old Spot. Usually big dosy buggers,good size litters, good doer's outside(mine hate being in) and easy to please!!
Good luck in your venture

Agreed. I think the "floppy ears are friendly" is a bit naive & dangerous preconception. Every sow is unique. I work with over 3000 and some of the most aggressive are lopped ears (we have one sow, 315 orange tag, I've memorized it!! flies out of ark to kill ya...its only the lopped ears gettin her way that give ya chance to clear the fencing!!) Just pick a breed you like look of, go to agriculture shows talk to people. Treat them right, firm but fair and enjoy it!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 05:11:00 am »
I have kept Berkshires (grew fat on next to nothing) Saddlebacks (ditto) GOS (lovely meat)  OSB (the best tasting meat) and Kunekune. On balance I would keep Kunes, friendly, kind to the grass and tasty.

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 11:30:39 am »
We breed and raise Cornish Large Blacks.  These are in our experience the easiest and gentlest and brightest of pigs.  Outdoor all year round, they ignore their arks pulling the straw out and nesting on open ground.  We feed barley sprouts we produce onsite, 1kg seed providing 7kg of feed.  Our breeding stock are hand tame, come when called by name and allow piglets to be handled and removed without any aggression.

The breed are respectful of fencing and will graze and forage if the feed amounts are less than necessary to satisfy them.  We feed 1kg sprouted barley twice daily as standard, but only 1/2kilo twice a day if we want the land grazed/foraged to clear.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS