Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ramboillet sheep!  (Read 3603 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Ramboillet sheep!
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:50 pm »
I have been interested in finding these sheep in the UK, however it seems no one keeps them, does anyone know if there is a breeder in the uk?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Ramboillet sheep!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:20:59 pm »
So none of the 70-odd native breeds appeal ....?  Beware getting any breed of anything that's very low in numbers - the difficulties involved in introducing new bloodlines, or selling surplus stock, are huge.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:07:58 pm »
So none of the 70-odd native breeds appeal ....?  Beware getting any breed of anything that's very low in numbers - the difficulties involved in introducing new bloodlines, or selling surplus stock, are huge.
I do keep a traditional breed, the Lleyn, but I had a bet with someone that i could find a breeder in the uk, in actual fact I don't really want to keep sheep which will break my back everytime I try and pick em up, according to breeders the ewes weigh 200lbs live weight and the rams 300lbs live weight, that is a whole lot of sheep! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:40:42 am »
I'd be surprised of you found a breeder in the UK.  There's few enough managing with the Saxon Merinos, let alone trying the French version.

You could try asking on Ravelry in UK fleeeece people - if anyone is over here breeding them, they're likely selling their fleeces to handspinners, I'd think.  Unless they've got a large enough flock and are making yarn, or even finished items, I suppose...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:17 am »
I think if i was gonna keep em I would breed em for meat.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:05:23 am »
I do keep a traditional breed, the Lleyn, but I had a bet with someone that i could find a breeder in the uk, in actual fact I don't really want to keep sheep which will break my back everytime I try and pick em up, according to breeders the ewes weigh 200lbs live weight and the rams 300lbs live weight, that is a whole lot of sheep! :)

You shouldn't need to 'pick sheep up'   :eyelashes: [size=78%] there is s technique involved, which results in the sheep on its back supported by your knees.  Get someone to show you or go on a sheep keeping course.  When I kept sheep I could turn them even the ram[/size] :thumbsup:   am I am 5ft nothing.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »

You shouldn't need to 'pick sheep up'   :eyelashes: [size=78%] there is s technique involved, which results in the sheep on its back supported by your knees.  Get someone to show you or go on a sheep keeping course.  When I kept sheep I could turn them even the ram[/size] :thumbsup:   am I am 5ft nothing.

If you have functional sheep you shouldn't even need to turn them over  ;)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
We know what you mean, WBF.
With your interest in water buffalo you are obviously a lateral thinker, so go for it.  I have 6 pure breeds among my flock of 8 sheep because I find them interesting. I am the laughing stock of my neighbours, but it's water off a duck's back I'm afraid.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:02:08 pm »
When I got my Southdowns (we're in Suffolk on a Welsh Mule country here) my neighbour looked over the fence and said "There may be a reason why they're rare!"  However, twelve years on, I have a waiting list for my breeding quality ewe lambs, several new flocks have been registered in the adjoining counties started with purchases from me and we hire rams to a growing number of smallholders and farmers.  Our neighbour still doesn't quite believe it, but there's a sort of grudging respect going on now when he contemplates our woolly sheep from across the fence....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »
We know what you mean, WBF.
With your interest in water buffalo you are obviously a lateral thinker, so go for it.  I have 6 pure breeds among my flock of 8 sheep because I find them interesting. I am the laughing stock of my neighbours, but it's water off a duck's back I'm afraid.
yea i agree i keep breeds of animals cause i find them interesting. I bought the faverolle hens because i really liked them and found they were a dual purpose breed, am gonna buy a cockerel next year and then i can start a meat flock, strictly for my own use though. I keep buffaloes because they are completely different, in a good way, to cows and are more intelligent, but also because I want to make cheese and mozzarella. I keep lleyns because of the fantastic quality of the meat and i bought a very good ram so that the carcase will be better. Also because lleyns are a welsh breed. I keep certain breeds of animals because I really like them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:14:37 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS