Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: suitable as a broody ark??  (Read 2693 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
suitable as a broody ark??
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:16 pm »
Hi

I want to hatch some eggs this year, and for several reasons, i want to try this the natural way using a broody hen rather than an incubator/brooder route which would still mean having somewhere outside for them once they were feathered up.  At the moment i just have the main coop and run and so i want to buy something to use as a broody ark, to house the broody and the chicks.  Initially i am thinking about trying hubbards, as i gather they can be at a size big enough to kill at 10-12 weeks and before the cockerals start crowing. 

My question is, if i got 12 hatching eggs, (of which i doubt i would get 12 chicks)  would a omlet eglu be suitable for using as a broody ark - i presume i would need to keep the broody with the chicks until about 5 weeks old, then she could go back to the layers pen, but also assuming i would need a run extension if there are too many that hatch?   I already have an omlet cube and really like how easy they are to keep clean but want to make sure it would be suitable before i buy the eglu.

thanks Loopy

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: suitable as a broody ark??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »
I would think an Omlet eglu would be fine, Solong as the hen feels confertable and it is vermin proof. I'm sure i have even seen kits that convert it into use as a brooder.

Mine have used a Wheelbarrow in the greenhouse in the past, it just goes to show that they addapt really well to any nest site.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS