Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs  (Read 3055 times)

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
lambs
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:38 am »
I have a simple question are lambs difficult to fatten and on average how long do they take to be at killing weight??
Love lamb but Ukrainians grow pigs! and dont hang beef before eating  :-\
Legio Patria Nostre

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
Re: lambs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 03:03:26 pm »
Huge topic! It depends on what you have to feed them on, whether you believe in grass finish and omega 3s, what breed of ewe and what ram you use, the weather etc etc..
Lambing Dorsets out of season selling to a high priced market, lambs were killed as they were weaned, they were grained as much as they could take without getting ill. So about 12 weeks.

I lamb in June on grass, I find with no additional feeding I have lambs fit for Ede [sp?] the Muslim festival at the end of November. 90-100 lbs liveweight. Then I have lambs ready for the Christmas trade, always good, then I finish the smaller ones after Christmas with the triplets going for the lucrative Easter market.
I have a big landbase so like to feed what I have, grass, hay and greenfeed. I will feed grain if it really gets cold or I want to hit a specific deadline but by and large don't believe in 'buying lamb'. A lot of customers nowadays prefer lambs finished slowly on grass and alfalfa.

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:32 pm »
thaks for that well i have to shop around here as to what breed. Grass/hay fed is the way i will be going as i want all natural produce when i get going next year. As a thought what square meterage would i require for 3 or 4 lambs to live comfortably?

Legio Patria Nostre

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »
Not being difficult, but another how long is a piece of string question!
I can only give you my own experience. It largely comes down to rainfall out here, I am not exactly sure where you are.  We only get about 21 inches of precipitation a year, a lot of which falls as snow so I aim to keep one ewe per acre, with her lambs, and make hay from that same acreage. Now in England, far wetter, that would be a ludicrously low stocking rate.

Rules are made for breaking and my headage rate at the moment is about 200 ewes [plus lambs, plus making hay ] per quarter [160 acres] this could bite me in a drought year, then I would have to buy in some winter feed.

Some people here keep lambs in yards in a feedlot situation, either zero grazing or buying in feed. This has the advantage of no fencing, no worming, no predators and a very high turnover and stocking rate. More work but if you can source store lambs it can work well.
Good Luck!

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:26:39 pm »
well thats given me an idea thanks....do you know anything about Romanov x Rexel or East Fresian sheep? its apparently the main breed here in Ukraine.
Legio Patria Nostre

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »
There are lots of Romanovs here in Canada.
I would guess that Rexels are Romanov X Texels, not a bad plan if you could get more meat on the Romanov.
East Friesian sounds like a milk sheep?

http://www.romanovsheep.com/

They are very hardy and prolific, personally I don't really want sheep that have litters! They usually still have 2 teats so even triplets can cause a lot more work and worry. Still, if you only have a few and can give them lots of attention and supplementary feed them if they need it?
It's not a bad plan to start with what everyone local has until you gain confidence.

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »
i have just read your link and thank you now i have a plan for the way forward!! I have a Small paddock of about 2500 square metres with barns and as the price of feed here is very inexpensive i think i will start with a few romanov x and yard breed the first few and see how it goes. The fact that they will breed all year is a good thing too as prices in winter here for meat can double compared to summer!!! a great help and thanks once again... :farmer:
Legio Patria Nostre

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS