Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bye bye baby  (Read 6458 times)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
bye bye baby
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:15:59 pm »
Just thought you guys would like to see how most people transports the baby camels to their new homes when they buy them from me.  This one was very happy to get his first ride in a Hummer ;).   
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: bye bye baby
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »
WOW that's amazing. Thats how I transport my kids (goats) but a Camel is a whole different story! Bet it causes a few giggles from drivers looking in to the back of their car.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:33 pm »
Is it legal?!
In britain, you have to transport livestock in a trailer, and complete movement forms.

Dont think even a baby camel would fit in the back of my fiesta...
Little Blue

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:47:45 pm »
Legal? Probably not really, but unless you commit another crime that gets you stopped by a cop, no one would ever know. I would bet even if you were stopped by any law enforcement, they would be so tickled with the very sight of this, they would be too busy taking pictures of him with their cell phones to show their buddies, you would probably not even get the citation you  originally got stopped for. As far as paperwork and forms go, the only time you have to pull into a state inspection station is when you ARE pulling a livestock trailer. So there you go, no trailer, no inspection, no paperwork, no useless money given to a veterinarian.  ;) win, win, win  ;)
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:03:59 pm »
That is so cute!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »
do you really ned them in a trailer, we move oour goats in the back  of the diso

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:26:41 pm »
I sure don't think so, they are so content when they are with "their" human servants, so I feel they should ride in comfort with them too. (or for as long as they are small enough, which is only for the first few months of their life) ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »
Technically in the UK, livestock should only be moved in something that can be completely disinfected. So unless you wanted your car or whatever sprayed all over by a power washer with disinfectant, then they should be in a trailer. We actually also travel goats in the van, but obviously the back of that can be washed out and disinfected.

That said, I know people who have travelled goats etc in the back of cars. I remember going to market as a child, and coming back with a calf in the back of a hatchback car.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 10:43:14 pm »
I would like to drive up the motorway with a baby camel on the back seat - and watch other peoples faces when they saw him!!!

We only have a big trailer, so tend to move the goats in the back of the van, if we have to move them.   They enjoy watching out the back window!!

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:41:09 pm »
i know its an oldish post,but v funny with the camel. is it true i could pick up weaners ect in my van,so the messing around organising/hiring a trailer is not needed?but doesnt it say you need sides  rails ect to stop escapes.how about if you are lifting them into the van?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 02:44:09 pm »
i know its an oldish post,but v funny with the camel. is it true i could pick up weaners ect in my van,so the messing around organising/hiring a trailer is not needed?but doesnt it say you need sides  rails ect to stop escapes.how about if you are lifting them into the van?

You could easily rig up a panel either side of the van to get them in without escaping and put one in the back of the van to keep them restrained to a section of it.  My puppy pen panels would work for that. http://www.croftonline.co.uk/products.asp?partno=freedom931x
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS