Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EID tag questions  (Read 3508 times)

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
EID tag questions
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:55:44 pm »
So I finally am getting these replacement tags and I have the option of a pair, the visual 1 and a EID one. Thing is I would be putting the tags in their ears. Hex has a hole where he once had one and mysteriously isn't there anymore and Eva ripped hers out last week.
So basically with that in mind is it worth getting a EID one as well because of the whole electronic tracking and the visual or just get a visual one?

Also does the EID mean I don't have to fill in the forms?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: EID tag questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:41:15 pm »
I thought EID was for sheep only ?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »
I could be wrong but you don't use EID on goats, at least Non of our lot or anyone else's i have never seen have one in
Graham

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »
Thought it was going to be implemented once the national herd number reach a certain level.
Shame they can not be microchipped like dogs.
Goats seem far more pron to tearing them out than most livestock.
Seen a couple with 2 or 3 tears from previous torn tags surely it can not be right to keep insisting retagging.
I have a doe that lost a ear so she carnt be retagged. Think they are a terrible idea for goats myself
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:28:58 pm by mart6 »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:30:14 pm »
ACCORDING to the gov web site goats can have an injectable eid in the groin plus a black tag  or   a  pastern leg tag  plus a normal tag .    EID is still optional in goats  .

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »
we're planning getting little metal discs made with their herd and ID number and name if there's room and then it can just go on their collars  :thumbsup:

I have one with her ear ripped in half because of catching her tag looks awful bless her
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 05:33:59 pm »
Go for pastern tags, and leave the "mandatory" ear tag in the drawer...

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »
I've only had to replace one tag in one of my goats, and that's because the breeder put it in upside down, with the male bit sticking out the back of the ear, so the female bit was snapped off it, but the male tag was still hanging through the ear, no damage to the ear. I got shearwells set eid tags for the lambs and kids, and had no lost tags in any of them this year. Eid optional, but easier and cheaper for me with 3 breeding goats this year to just get the eid for both lots.

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 02:52:40 pm »
Why on earth didn't pastern tags get used in the first place?! I've actually brought just normal tags now but there are two for each animal. My Plan was to envelope one and the visual tag put on a keyring and stick on the collar like a dog. They both already have dog tags on with my phone number in case they decide to go for walks and they haven't been removed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS