Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: metal sheet roof dripping problems  (Read 2984 times)

kipper

• Joined May 2013
metal sheet roof dripping problems
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:37:15 am »
Last year i changed my asbestos roof on the stables to the square metal sheeting .This has been fantastic except now the colder weathers in the shets are soaking through the night inside and in the morning dripping everywhere.
Ive tried the windows open and closed but its still the same
Any suggestions to what i need to do ?
thanks

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: metal sheet roof dripping problems
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
It is a bit late now but metal roofing sheets often come with a thin lining on them which is there to stop them dripping, it is a bit like a very thin layer of felt on the underside.

There might be something that you gan get to spray on to do the job - I don't know.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:38 am »
We retro lined our workshop and barn with sarking boards to solve that problem.  With our new shed we've done it along with the build.  It not only stops the dripping, but insulates the building.  It's a time consuming option but I can't think of anything else which will really work.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:54:05 am »
I think that's the only way to do it.  We have a big pole barn used for lambing and calf-rearing which is open all along one side and we have exactly the same problem, so it's not something better ventilation will solve.  Wood and clay tile construction has its drawbacks (particularly expense) but both materials absorb a degree of moisture.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »
The way I would deal with this is:

Cut polystyrene insulation boards to fit beween the joists (you may need to temporarily relocate the electric lights). Then staple a damp proof membrane to the face of the joists, then face the underside of the joists with sheets exterior plywood then refix lights.

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:44:14 am »
thats brilliant and thanks for all your help everyone

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:16 am »
We got a commercial foam spraying company in and in spring when the dampness stopped condensing , things dried out a bit & ambient air temps rose to over 13 oC they sprayed the roofs with a four inch thick yellow foam .

It not only cured the condensing moisture it also made sure that all sheets were well & truly interlinked and much more secure than being simply screw nailed on with long TEC screws.

The roof areas were  a one off 40' x 30' roof  & one off 60' x 45' roof.
 It only took the company eight  hours of work( over two days )  where as it would have taken me a couple of months working off ladders at  up to 6 mtrs up.

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:09 am »
Some of the these ideas will just trap the moisture in. it might seem daft but it would probably be cheaper to change the sheets for non drip coated ones than to modify what you already have. or even lift them and fit roofing felt. they will still produce moisture but that way in won't be in contact with you roof timbers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS