Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Member - advice required please !!  (Read 5564 times)

Hash Hound

• Joined Oct 2014
New Member - advice required please !!
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »
Greetings from sunny Lancashire !!  :wave:     My wife and I are contemplating a complete lifestyle change and are considering buying a smallholding.   We thought that before "taking the plunge" I would try to learn more about what running a smallholder actually entails and gain some experience in working with livestock.   I have already been on a one day pig keeping course which was very informative but would obviously like to have a bit more hands on knowledge - you can only pick up so much from books and magazines.   Does anybody know of where I can take on a bit of voluntary work on an existing smallholding ??    I am not talking about a 6 x month training course here !!   Just a few days or an odd weekend here and there to get me started.    I would appreciate your comments, suggestions and advice.   Please note that I am quite prepared to do a reasonable amount of travelling !!    Also let me know please if you think that this is a good idea.......

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: New Member - advice required please !!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »
I think this a very good idea and very sensible. Hope someone comes along to help :fc:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »
Great idea. I would recommend volunteering to help with lambing next year if you are thinking of keeping sheep. And how about some 'backyard' chickens if you have the space in your garden where you are ? If you are a bit more specific about where you are I'm sure someone here will bite your hand off for some help !
Welcome anyway from Caithness.  :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:45 pm »
You may find WWOOFing suits you; most hosts would want you for at least a week, but places like Lower Shaw Farm in Swindon do WWOOFing weekends.

Generally, the odd day or weekend is frankly something of a drain on a farmer / smallholder.  If you can find somewhere near to you, then it's a better arrangement, as over a number of days / weekends you will learn enough to be genuinely helpful.  If you have to travel far, it is harder to get the balance right such that both you and the farmer / smallholder gain. 

Whereabouts are you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. You can practice on my goats if you want.

froal

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
Hello   :wave:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »
 :wave:  From north wales. Great if you can make some friends close to where you are going to be.... But don't hold yourself back  thinking you don't know enough or are not ready.... It's only like having a baby - you WILL learn as you go along with a few local phone a friends and this forum :-).  You could shadow a sheep farmer for 20 years and not know it all! Enjoy!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:42:04 pm »
Long way from you but check us out on helpX site .  and our own website.  Www.Nantygroes.co.uk
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

highpeak236

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Highpeak,Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 08:18:15 pm »
I am still trying to figure out, like you, how best to dip into the Smallholding world. I am now the proud owner of some land that backs onto my house and have currently got 3 chickens, best to start small. I have just had a  field fenced and can now let my very stereotypical beagle off the lead and run to his hearts desire without fear of him chasing the best rabbit scent or the like. The reason I mention this is the guy that helped with the fence is a local farmer who is only to happy to earn a little extra cash in doing some of those jobs that seem a little daunting the first time round. He is also happy for me to help and learn form his 200+ flock and pick up some valuable tips on anything sheepish and will assist with such tasks as worming/lambing until I am confident to do this myself. It is worth getting to know the local farmers/smallholders who from my experience are willing to offer advice and help if required. Looking forward to next year and my first sheep!! Good Luck

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:22:34 pm »
Hi and welcome :wave:  I am also a wannabee and doing lots of research, try something like a small holders festival where you get lots of exciting live stock and small holders all under one roof, all wanting to share their knowledge.  My visit to lanark helped me make my mind up about some thing plus I got to meet some forum members. :)

Hash Hound

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: New Member - advice required please !! - Update......
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:12 pm »
Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Just to let everybody know I have volunteered to do half a day a week at my local animal sanctuary !!    They have agreed to let me work on the farm section.   They have pigs  :pig:, goats  :goat:, horses  :horse: and donkeys - lots of donkeys !!   The good thing about this is that it is just a 15 x minute walk from my house and if it goes well I shall extend my hours accordingly.

Here is their website:-     http://www.bleakholt.org/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 04:59:09 pm »
Well done - you can never do enough groundwork where the welfare of livestock is concerned.  There are longer pig-keeping courses out there - check out the Breeders' Directory in Practical Pigs.  Tim Tyne does a lambing course in North Wales.  Check out your local agricultural college - some do short or evening courses. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS