Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stupid question?  (Read 3531 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Stupid question?
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:21:04 pm »
Sorry folks if this is a ridiculously stupid question. I've no experience with cows so far but am planning to have them on our smallholding eventually so I'm thinking about them now.

My question is, will cows keep producing milk as long as you keep milking them? I know they need to calve in the first place but for our small household a calf every year would be far too much, however I'd like milk all the time. Could we calve every other year (or even every three years) but still successfully milk her while not in calf?

I'm planning on dexters if that makes any difference.
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Stupid question?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:32:57 pm »
If you only want milk for the house/family you may be better off with goats - a good milker will go for at least two years, and often longer (if you purchase with that in mind), take up much less space/grazing area, feed bill, can be taken to vet easily in van/trailer, etc etc - and so far no regular TB testing costs...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »
i know of Jerseys milking for two years and longer but am told that both quantity and quality decline rapidly after 12 months. You can sell weaned, or even weaned calves, so I'm not sure why an annual calf per cow is a problem? And what other bovine are you thinking of for company for her if not another milking cow?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies Anke and Sally.

All my experience of goats milk has not been pleasant. Since planning the smallholding I have thought of trying it again but haven't worked up to it yet.

I was thinking about two or three dexters. Breeding one every other year (or every three years if I have three). I had originally planned on just self sufficiency from the smallholding rather than the extra hassle of selling, but as I think about it I'm not sure it would be all that much extra hassle so maybe that's the way to go.

It wont be for a good while yet so I've plenty of time to mull it over  :)
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:06:28 pm »
If you're rearing the calves yourself, you'll need to have two or three at a time.  All bovines need to have herdmates of their own age and stage.  So yes, probably best to breed two if not three of the three every year, and sell surplus calves.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »
All bovines need to have herdmates of their own age and stage.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about the babies needing chums their own age too. Looks like I'll be breeding them all and selling the surplus.

Thanks.  :thumbsup:

I'll be back begging for info about breeding, raising calves and milking when the time comes!  :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »
I'll be back begging for info about breeding, raising calves and milking when the time comes!  :excited:

We're always glad to help  :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »
why 3?
how about 2 cows, breed every year, finish the bullock calves for the freezer and sell the heifer calves.
how much land will you have?

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:29:29 pm »
why 3?

I'm just throwing ideas around at the moment. I just want more than one so they've got company. It'll probably be 2 as and when the time comes.

how much land will you have?

I'm not sure yet, but I will take that into consideration. Like I said, it'll be a while before it all comes about so plenty of planning time.

:thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »
Fresh, raw goatsmilk from a herd where the milkers are treated as individuals will not taste "goaty". Go and find a goatkeeper near you and try it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS