Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lining cattle shed  (Read 2163 times)

beulah

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Hebrides
Lining cattle shed
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:55 am »
Hi, we're looking to erect a steel-frame agri shed, which will be used for wintering cattle amongst other things. We'd planned on having concrete block walls for the first 5 feet because of the cattle, but wondered if there are any alternatives which might be cheaper? Thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Lining cattle shed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:44 am »
Gates sheeted over with either galvanised sheets or stockboard or some such.  Removable, replaceable and flexible.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:29:39 am »
I recently put up a steel framed shed and used 6 inch hollow block. I chose to do this because I could do it my self and got a good price for the blocks. however now i've seen how cheap the pre stressed concrete sections are I would go with them. They fit together very quick and cattle will find it had to damage them compared to gates/ blocks etc. When I say cheap, they might seem a lot for what they are at first but the labour you save is massive.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:58 am »
If you can afford them, the concrete panels are the bizz.

If you use corrugated iron, or stockboard, there will be damage, then potential for escapes and/or damage to the livestock.  Dung will rot the bottoms of the panels, too.

BH says if he couldn't use concrete panels, he'd choose stockboard over corrugated iron.  (But you'd have to expect to replace panels, with either material, on an ongoing basis.)

Edited to add, we used to have breeze blocks, filled with rubble with some concrete poured through in places for extra strength and stability, which lasted nearly 30 years.  But yes, lots of labour to erect, and also they seep, which became a problem for us.  So we've replaced them in the sheds with the concrete panels, and in the pens with flexible stockboard.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:02:48 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS