Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I made the right decision!!  (Read 2272 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
I made the right decision!!
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:12:39 pm »
I know some people thought I should have disbudded my male kids, and also castrated them.  The cost of disbudding was so high, that I only had the females done, and I took a chance that as the kids looked to be of good quality (only my opinion of course!) they would hopefully be sold for breeding, rather than meat.

Well, I had a butcher look at them, and he offered what I considered a low price - then someone else viewed them, and because three were of a decent size and ready to use on females, he paid me what I asked.  Two were a lot smaller (and younger) so they also were bought, but for less money.  Had I  disbudded them, I would have made a loss, taking into account worming, feeding etc as well.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: I made the right decision!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:20:38 am »
sounds like a win win situation Roxy  :thumbsup:

I dont disbud any of mine as I prefer them to be how nature intended (minus testicles though)  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:26:25 am »
Mmmmmhhh.. it is Eid this weekend after all...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »
 :)Yes, I know its the Eid this weekend, that's why I had a sudden constant ringing of my phone, and people on the other end who I could not understand.  No, these have definitely gone to a big dairy herd - he paid too much for the big uns for them to go as meat.  If they were going for meat, I would have sold to a butcher, so they would go through the proper channels. 

It was rather strange, but the best one I thought - and so did the buyer - was the one out of our large white goat, (father BA and mother BS)  fathered by Darren our AN.  This was a tall, strapping boy.  Two of the AN were not far behind in size, but one was much smaller than his twin, and the sannan x Anglo Nubian was a lot younger, so of course smaller.

I could have overwintered those two and then sold, but as I have 4 female kids to overwinter, it would have been a problem housing wise.....plus, after feeding the two boys, would it have been worth it financially - probably not!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
:thumbsup:
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS