Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: finding sheep's owner  (Read 4223 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
finding sheep's owner
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:43:20 pm »
Hi all. We have had a "lodger", a ewe in with our own flock for several weeks and despite checking with the usual suspects locally no-one seems to be claiming her (wrong breed). We planned some time ago to catch her and take note of the eartag so we could then hopefully track her owner down. Easier said than done. she has been extremely feral and on one occasion when we managed to get her into our smallest field, the orchard, she leapt our stock fence like a deer, without touching it- since then we decided the best option was to run her with our girls who are very tame and just give her time to get used to having us about. today for the first time she came near enough and if i'd been a bit more awake I could have grabbed her. assuming we get another go who do I actually ring and would they be able to give me details from the tag ( data protection blah blah blah etc,) having already driven round several farmers asking if they had lost one I don't want to now drive all over the place with a tag number. if we ever catch  her we have considered cutting out the tags and sticking ours in and having a bit of mutton, but not before we've tried rehoming her. cheers

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: finding sheep's owner
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:15 pm »
You could find the breeder easy enough, call animal health with the flock number. They are not necessarilly the owner though. If they are not... Into the freezer she go.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:40 pm »
If you do decide to eat her, don't forget to allow withdrawal periods for any medicines she may have had - at least 8 weeks for many flukicides ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:34:23 am »
If you can get her ear tag details 'phone Trading Standards in Exeter. They should have details of who bred her and who she was sold to etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS