Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Machinery rings  (Read 2776 times)

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
Machinery rings
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:09:44 am »
Does anyone on here use a machinery ring? I have been contacted by a ring and asked to join but I can't see any benefit unless there are other smallholders using it.  As far as I can make out it is mostly full size equipment that is available and not suitable for cat1 size tractors.  Does anyone have any experience of these rings, good or bad?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Machinery rings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »
I'm not a member of one however I have had experience of the local 'ring'.
And to be honest, it hasn't been all that good an experience.  I know a fair number of folk who are members and its a mixed bag of experiences.  If I'm honest I don't think that the ring is probably the best option for smallholders but I will stand corrected. 

I do think though that there is an opportunity for a smallholder machinery ring to be formed.  Covering smallholders, market gardens, equine enterprises.  Covering the use/loan/supply of equipment and potentially source hay & straw for folk in large and small bales if necessary.

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:19:56 pm »
Start a smallholder ring in your area?

TonyG

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:35 am »
I suppose starting a smallholder ring would be the way to go, not sure how to go about it though.  Although this site would prove a good base to start from.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:55:35 am »
We tried a kind of machinery ring with Central Scotland Smallholders but we couldn't get it to work, partly because of geography(moving the equipment from one place to another was too many miles), the type of equipment (it was too big and unwieldy) and we couldn't work out the financing (insurance, charging, maintenance of the equipment blah, blah, blah). It was just too much work for the small group of volunteers we had.

I still think it's a good idea though and in the right circumstances it might work.

SAOS is a Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society Ltd - which exists to promote co-operation between farmers. If anyone was interested in doing this in Scotland, SAOS might be able to help.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:34 pm »
Hi all, we are members of our local machinery ring and i find them very helpful, we trade both ways and some things like fuel and heating oil are also cheaper through them. Anything can be traded if the ring is forward thinking enough, they have even traded baby sitting! I dont get all my work through them but they work in a fair and even handed way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS