Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need advice on selling  (Read 4514 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Need advice on selling
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
Unfortunately we are going to have to sell our Clydesdale  :'(   I have no experience of selling horses and was hoping that people could give me some advice on how to go about it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Need advice on selling
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »
If registered with papers etc try the breed society. Most have a sales facility and looking through will give a feel for the market.

Other than that just be clear and honest, expect daft questions and insulting offers and wait til the right person comes.

Specify work the horse has done, whether any tack or equipment is available and/or included in price, mention any vices or notifiable health issues, as well as obvious height, age etc.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »
 :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »
Everything Ellied has said, and I'll emphasise not trying to hide any vices.

If you've got all the papers, the breed society would be my first port of call. Now all I've got to do is convince my wife that we really could do with a working Clydesdale! :innocent:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »
Other than that just be clear and honest, expect daft questions and insulting offers and wait til the right person comes.
Do people usually advertise at a higher price expecting a buyer to negotiate it down or do you advertise at the price that you want?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:33:48 pm by clydesdaleclopper »
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »
Oh CC - sorry to hear this.
They are beautiful animals.

I'd better stay quiet about this and not mention it to the boss.
She has a horse (on loan) and I have said I will only take interest in a 'mans' horse i.e a highlander or a clydesdale.
We are off on hol's shortly and she has organised us to go riding (she rides, I do not) and I'm apparently getting the only Clydesdale.

On a more serious note - I know a agri trade rep who is into clydesdales (she breed and shows).  She may know of a good home?  She travels all over Scotland so I'm sure she could pass by at some point.  I can mention it too her if you wish but I'll wait for your nod (should you wish to nod).

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:21:18 pm »
Try rbst website too, I think they are rare aren't they?
scotads was always good for us when we sold ponies but now its more moved to preloved and facebook.
do you know ruth skinner in old rayne? she breeds Clydesdales ad may have contacts. (strathorn)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »

On a more serious note - I know a agri trade rep who is into clydesdales (she breed and shows).  She may know of a good home?  She travels all over Scotland so I'm sure she could pass by at some point.  I can mention it too her if you wish but I'll wait for your nod (should you wish to nod).

Thanks  :thumbsup:

My OH pretty much learnt to ride on him as he'd not had very many lessons before I persuaded him that we had to buy him  ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:47:44 am »
So sorry you are having to sell.

Strangely enough I have been discussing Clydesdales on Facebook with someone who has just bought one - because after Dales ponies, the Clydesdale is my next favourite horse, and I would love one .......unfortunately, you are a long way off, which in a way is a blessing, because, as I never sell a pony, I have a field full .......

Good luck with your sale, and hope you find a really good home for your horse.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:53 am »
Do people usually advertise at a higher price expecting a buyer to negotiate it down or do you advertise at the price that you want?

Some do each method. The important thing for sanity is to be clear which you are doing.  If you want expect or are prepared to negotiate then put ono or ovno with your price.  If not under any circs then put no offers and stick to your guns tho an odd offer may be made to try you, even half price offer isn't unusual which is irritating.  Just putting a price without either statement leaves it unclear enough that you will get insulting, near and perhaps full price but less likely.

Personally I hate haggling and never accept a buyer as serious if they start.  Farmers always expect a deal so if you're selling as a working horse bear that in mind, but if selling for riding then the offers tend to come from dealers and folk that to me aren't sure enough or else aren't what a pony I bred deserves.  I take longer to sell sometimes for that attitude, but most ponies remain long term where they are sold and I value that above all else.  Whether you have that luxury to wait I don't know.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
Everything Ellied has said, and I'll emphasise not trying to hide any vices.

Vices  ???  he's a Clydie - they don't have any vices  :love:

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:18 pm »
CC,

Could you message me some info about him and I'll pass the info on and I'll report back accordingly.

CG

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:55 am »
Could you send me his details.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS