Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ixworth pics  (Read 6224 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Ixworth pics
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:05 pm »
Fowlman, have you found your ixworth a to be a bit on the feisty side? I've got some infighting going on which is not helped by me being unable to sex them at an early age. None of my other breeds have ever done this so it's a bit shocking. I had to seperate a pair today.

The only way I have of sexing at the moment is size and saddle feathers which don't seem to be apparent until 20 odd weeks. Lovely looking birds though. A practical breed which really appeals to me.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 11:15:11 pm »
I found the Ixworth mostly easy going until young cockerels reach a certain age and then can be a bit spicy but more space generally helps. I have a young cockerel ( i think ) coming up to the 20 week mark but it is still being kept in check by older pullets. Sounds like you have more than one male in same pen and reaching teenage puberty so to speak. On the whole quite a docile breed.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:13 am »
The ones that are fighting are about 12 weeks now. They'll be going out into the bigger pen at the weekend though.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 11:31:03 am »
That should help.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »
Another question for Ixworth keepers. Do your cockerels ever crow? I've got a couple now reaching 24 weeks and haven't seen them crow once. The Marans they are in with never shut up. Pretty desirable trait if that is the case.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
Could be that the Marans are more dominant so the ixworths are just keeping quiet.

The Cock birds I had crowed at about 14 weeks

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »
Seems to vary but they arent as vocal as some breeds, got a 22 week old cockerel yet to crow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS