Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twisted claws  (Read 1675 times)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
Twisted claws
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »
I've just got some bantams (Plymouth Rock & Plymouth Rock x) some have twisted claws, probably due to having been kept caged as show/breeding birds & not scraping about on the ground. If I trim them will they straighten out once they are out scratching about or will they just grow back twisted. As they are twisted there is quite a lot before the quick that I can trim off. Any advice appreciated.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Twisted claws
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
Only time will tell I think. Trim them as far back as you can without hitting the vein and see how they grow. Hopefully now they can scratt about the claws wont grow too much.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:36:21 am »
Yep agree with MS, trim them as far back as you can safely go then let them out to scratch about, they should pull back into line when they start working their feet.

I've just done this with some birds that were kept inside most of their lives too, the nails grow too long and then cause the toes to fall over to one side.

Fingers crossed they'll come back to normal  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
Could be a hereditary problem?  This can sometimes be corrected if spotted when they're chicks and splints applied (although very fiddly to do) but if they're coping I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Certainy wouldn't breed from them, though.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »
is it their actual claws or toes?
I had twisted toes/feet on some birds we bred but I believed it was heredity so culled them.

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:07:10 pm »
Thanks all! Haven't clipped them, will do tomorrow, also a beak that makes one hen look like an American Bald Eagle! Hopefully they won't grow long enough to twist once they are outside. Shygirl: it is the claws but if left their toes would probably twist too so clippers out tomorrow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS