Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding pigs  (Read 5575 times)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
feeding pigs
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:27:30 pm »
sorry to all I submitted before I finished writing,

Forgive me if this sounds nieve

are we allowed to feed waste food from our own kitchen to pet pigs

I thought not, but I knew someone not so long ago that allowed us to take all types of waste food up to feed thier pet pigs,
but after reading up on the paperwork from DEFRA im confused inthier words

YOU CANNOT FEED AND KIND OF CATERING WASTE TO FARMED ANIMALS  they then go on to define catering waste as
 ALL WASTE FOOD WHETHER RAW OR COOKED INCLUDING
WASTE FROM
HOUSEHOLD KITCHENS RESTAURANTS FISH & CHIP KEBAB PIZZA SHOPS TAKEAWAY SHOPS CANTEENS OR CAFES
my confusion is if i buy veg and fruit form the supermarket take it home chop it up then surely its food waste from a household kitchen
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: feeding pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:18:49 pm »
yep
Chop it up outside, and use your outside tap if needed.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »
Do these rules apply to 'pet' pigs as well as pigs for meat, or are 'pet pigs' only pet's till they are ready for slaughter?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »
No such thing as 'pet pigs' they are all classed the same regardless of what they are, what they're 'for' or how many you keep.
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43:19 pm »
No such thing as 'pet pigs' they are all classed the same regardless of what they are, what they're 'for' or how many you keep.

Even the wee ones and pot bellied thingys?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:22:50 am »
Yes because they are all susceptible to Foot and Mouth.
(but thats only in UK here the "rules" are completely different")

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:39:20 pm »
thanks for the reply s people im still a bit bewildered by all the paperwork, how serious should I take what they say

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:32 pm »
Very, These rules are designed to control Classical swine fever and foot and mouth. The last major outbreak of CSF was caused by swill feeding quickly followed by F&M in 2001

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 05:18:02 pm »
Most definitely agree......Very important.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:22 pm »
Seriously how are DEFRA gonna actually know? And as long as meat never gets fed to the pigs Im sure its ok to feed raw cabbage/spuds etc that has been chopped in your kitchen. after all what difference does a kitchen door and 2 feet make to the cabbage?

In other words be sensible.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »
But why bother chopping cabbage?! Or much else for that matter, the pigs will manage!
Potatoes are better cooked, get a camping stove and pretend you're on holiday!
I keep a small fruit knife outside in the shed (or if I'm honest... on top of the rabbit hutch most of the time) for veg chopping for the bunnies
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »

When I first got my pigs I had visits from Trading Standards and Animal Welfare, both of these said that they did not have a problem with me

cooking potatoes in my kitchen and feeding them to pigs. Just to take sensible precautions and not chop them on a board used for meat.
Anne

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 07:53:17 am »
ok guys and girls, thats more helpful, now I dont feel like in doing wrong, i am being sensible but the other week when my piggies had an outside adventure thanks to some idiot's dog scaring them off they ate the contents of someone's bin and scrap bin, I would be surprised if there wasn't any meat content in that,
ill be very careful thanks for the help

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 07:33:42 pm »
Checked with a friend from Animal Health(defra). Wanted to get my facts right before I posted. The rules are.... If its been in the kitchen it definitely CANT go in your pig (or poultry come to that). Sugestions are peel your spuds and anything else out side. I certainly dont want to be the one that causes another major disease outbreak because I accidentally exposed my pig food to some imported dried meat from Argentina or Africa.
Personally I dont understand why these imports are allowed. We should be more like Australia and protect our livestock industry properly and have proper import checks at all our ports.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »
herdsman why use common sense when you can use rules to baffle and confuse the majority  - confusion equals power

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS