Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs in Mud  (Read 3012 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Pigs in Mud
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:30:48 am »
I know pigs love to wallow in the mud, but the ground is sooooo wet this year that I think we're going to have to move our winter pigs to our other enclosure before they sink out of view completely.  The trouble with this is that neither area will then be any use for new arrivals in the spring.  How are other pig owners coping with the dreadful weather?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Pigs in Mud
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
I don't have pigs but the goats are having problems with all this mud. Yesterday I had to call the vet out as 2 of them were having great difficulty with walking. I had checked their feet but could see nothing so called in the expert. The vet started with Blossom, one of the Pygmy's and could find nothing with her feet either. He gave her a thorough check and could find nothing but he could see she was not happy at walking. Eventually, with luck, he found she had the smallest of small stones in her foot which had ulcerated, hence the problem with walking. It was cleaned out and treated so when it came time to check Gizmo the same problem was found. So, we HATE all this mud!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:58:34 am »
We had, reluctantly, but for pity's sake, to let our three Berkshire weaners out of their nice big but knee-deep-in-mud pen and into a two acre field which they have absolutely WRECKED!! (But what joy they have had in doing it!) I shall worry about that next year though.
I 'phoned the butcher, thinking I may take them in this week only to be told that they can do nothing 'til January!! Has anyone any ideas as to what to feed them that will keep them lean yet satisfy their hunger 'til then? They will be eight months old when they go.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »
Speak to your local farm shop - we get all the rubbish fruit and veg from ours.  It saves them having to dispose of it.  Also, speak to your local greengrocer - ours let us have bruised fruit and off-cuts of veg etc.

paulandju

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:22:16 pm »
I moved my two as well, they are now sleeping in the hay shed and running around with the donkeys and horse. They like to wallow but not to swim! I'm just praying for dry weather.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
Dont worry too much they taste even better with a nice covering of fat. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »
Is there not some problem that pigs get with their hoofs if they stay on wet ground too long?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:32:05 pm »

"Is there not some problem that pigs get with their hoofs if they stay on wet ground too long?"

Now you have got me worried as all my land is muddy. Just hoping now for some really hard frost.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
I know sheep do.  Having had pigs on this land for over 5 years, never had a problem with the boggy ground, just the summer when it gets hard, Hilary (who is mega large) had difficulty on very hard ground.  Wet ground does need loads of extra straw in the arcs.

Stanley

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:52:41 am »
I have had to move my guys into the stable.  The mud was getting deeper and deeper and getting fresh straw into their arc was becoming mission impossible.  I have penned off an outsde area adjacent to the barn so they can still go out to wee poo and root but have a nice concrete area outside to eat/ drink and a nice stable to sleep.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

Well I got my wish for a hard frost, trouble is the ground is really rough and they are finding it difficult to walk on. Have thrown a new bale of straw into the arc and they are having great fun making their bed. If things dont improve will have to put them in to the empty stable, not sure how my mare will like having pigs next door though, she likes to use them as an excuse to be silly when I bring her past them.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:07:49 am »
Its wonderful to see how much we care about our pigs. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS