Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rear your own piglets idea  (Read 27434 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Rear your own piglets idea
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 08:53:06 pm »
You replace it with another one.  People become very pragmatic when it comes to dinner.

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »
HM, That was my point. OK you can replace the (late)pig with another if you have another available. I'm thinking more along the lines of this: we buy in say 9 weaners (we have no breeding stock) and they all have "owners". We provide the land, housing, feed, care etc. One dies ??? ??? ??? We have no ready replacement. I should stress that in our situation we are not commercial or striving to be. We see this as an opportunity for people to have a pig of their own (which they can't do themselves), which has a happy life. They just need to cover the costs. Perhaps this would be a solution. You actually have a share in the stock. 9 pigs and 9 people each have 1/9th of the stock. If one dies, you have 1/9th of 8 instead of 9?? Gosh isn't life complicated by humans ;D ;D
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 07:01:20 pm »
Hi, I cant understand how you price this up. It sounds good to me but how do you cost it out. Do they buy a weaner from you and then pay you to bring it up? also what if it needs a vet.
Can you tell me how it works as I do think it would work and well at that.
Thank you

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 08:04:05 pm »
Hi, I cant understand how you price this up. It sounds good to me but how do you cost it out. Do they buy a weaner from you and then pay you to bring it up? also what if it needs a vet.
Can you tell me how it works as I do think it would work and well at that.
Thank you
Just trying to think it out at the moment. The situation we actually have at the moment is that we have 6 weaners owned by three people. They are on land owned by one of them. That's her input. I feed and look after them. That's my input. No 3 provides straw and use of a forklift. That's his input. Feed spilt 3 ways. We are taking another 3 weaners soon from a friend of the landowner. They will be for her friends. They will pay for the purchase and a pro rata share of the feed. This is where the simplicity ends ;D What we have to decide is whether they actually own a pig or a share the stock. The 6 six we have are co-owned and so if one were to die, the 3 of us would have 5 pigs not 6. I think any people we bring in would have to be treated in the same way. Possibly by getting a bill monthly. Month 1 would be purchase and haulage, feed & any other costs (rent?, vet?), month 2 feed & any other costs (rent?, vet?) etc up to last month which would include slaughter and butchery costs.
Hope that clears that up then ;D ;D
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »
I see, Its not the same as me keeping pigs on my place for others. If I was to have pigs for others it would be somewhat different as I would need something towards my costs and time.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:05 pm »
The posting I was looking at was from Hilarysmum, I would like to know how She did the costings and what they would have to pay.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 12:56:44 pm »
I kept piglets for 4 years before I embarked on this.  I did a huge spreadsheet did a lot of calculations.  I breed my own pigs.  I know to the last euro the cost of each pig at slaughter and the profit/loss of each pig at point of sale (butchered). 

My costs for the rear your owns are kept separate from the rest of the herd.  I "charge" 80-120 euros for an 8 week weaner under this scheme.   I charge a given amount per month, into which I have factored the forecast price rises on feed.  I allow a very small amount for vet bills, hoping that the total from that batch would cover a vet visit to the one.  I always have weaners and growers available in the awful event of a loss I would replace the pig.  I would offer the "owner" the choice of another pig, or a refund.  I guarantee quality pork at the end of the period.  My charges reflect the quality of the meat at the end and the guaranteed free range quality of life for the piglets from birth till dinner plate.

So far, and this is in its infancy, have a number of very satisfied customers, and a new batch due to go off next month. 

You do have to be prepared for lots of interrupted meals when "owners" turn up on spec. and buy shares in the Kleenex tissue co. around slaughter time. 

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »
Thank you for the very interestion information. I would like to do this, we have room for a lot more pigs then the 6 we have just now. You are talking euro what country are you in?.
Thank you again

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:15 pm »
Hi we are in France, which is wonderful although has more red tape than DEFRA.  It was a way to cope with the high cotizations.  It works for me at present.  HM

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »
Thank you for that,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS