Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sorry for a rant but F#$king dog walkers! !  (Read 4566 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sorry for a rant but F#$king dog walkers! !
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 03:53:50 pm »
I think the basic problem is that people who originally used the footpaths would have been locals who knew the farmers, who understood about bulls, cows defending calves, etc. They would've used footpaths to get from the blacksmith's to the church or the pub, not to wander about exercising their dog.  Those folks weren't perfect by any means (poachers, and so on) but the present rules of footpath use and Right to Roam were formulated by people who move from house to car to office and back again.  I expect they view the countryside as a giant public park, not an industrial area, which it is, the industry being agriculture. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 05:05:37 pm »
We have found that having pigs pens next to our boundary fence with a (unofficial, but this is Scotland) path/tractor access lane to field behind will greatly reduce the numbers of horse riders... incl the local hunt! I hope that a larger flock of geese (I only have three right now) will also have some effect.

If there is no pathway through the field, then a piece of barbed wire a bit further in from the gate should be helpful, shouldn't it?

At least he got to look stupid on the radio.

How do you "look" stupid on radio? Sorry, couldn't resist.... ;D

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 06:24:04 pm »
Can you "accidentally" have the electric fence touch the gates?  :innocent:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 07:22:59 pm »
He looked stupid.... I should have said sounded stupid

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS