Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy but Sad....  (Read 1471 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Happy but Sad....
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »
So my first batch of boys went last week and collected today a week later, I thought they was a little on the small side but I needed them gone so I sent them in. Picked them up today in their oven ready form and the Abattoir said they were some of the best lambs they have seen, bang on the mark with fat and meat and the weight and if I had any for sale they would gladly buy them from me.

Lovely to see that they did me proud but its always a sad week for me and I know they will taste good but I cant help but see their little faces! Next batch will be harder with my Orphans going  :'(

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Happy but Sad....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:14:56 pm »
Know that feeling - my first lot of this year went yesterday :( including a couple of my favourite shearling wethers.  I find it harder to send on the shearlings than the lambs. 
Big  :D :D to everyone that I am selling the meat to - but inside I am  :'( .  Sometimes I wonder why I do this.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:17:14 am »
I have really tried not to get attached to the lambs, but they are now in a field right by the yard, and come for their feed when they see me walk down the track ....oh, their little faces.  Gotlands are so friendly, it really is awful even thinking about eating them.  The ram lamb is sold and going for breeding, which is a relief, as he is my special friend......just hope the ewe lambs find a nice home too, and save me from you know what!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:00 am »
You would probably still eat lamb if you had to buy it from the butcher - at least you know these had the best possible life they could.  The butcher's lambs are from an unknown background.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS