Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long can I keep a freshly dispatched chicken in the fridge?  (Read 2203 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
How long can I keep a freshly dispatched chicken in the fridge?
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »
Unfortunate timing meant that some of our young cockerels managed to break out of their house early this morning, in time for Mr. Foxy to reckon it was worth scaling the fence. Generously he left the six he killed pretty much untouched (two heads down between then) - pity he didn't pluck and dress them for me too because that's taken me all day  ::). Anyhow, I was only going to clean the house so that can wait!

But to the point - my parents are coming over on the 19th and I had in mind I would dispatch a cockerel to treat them to a roast then so that's saved me a job. But will one of the ones killed today be OK in the fridge for a week or should I freeze and defrost? Three are already in the freezer and one I'll joint for tomorrow but the biggest is in debate!

H

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: How long can I keep a freshly dispatched chicken in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »
I should think it would be totally fine for a week. Most meat from shop is ok for good few days and must have waited about in transport a bit. Wash well,  maybe turn fridge down a bit. Bottom of fridge is normally coolest part.

Cooked meat is said to be safe for five days. I've eaten several joints that have smelt high, once cooked are delicious and no Ill effects!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »
I would say so as long as your fridge is good and cold and you put them low down. I'm sure we've had them in there for a week or so. As long as you cook it properly, you don't have much to worry about anyway. Most of the danger from chicken is created in the disgusting processing plants they pass through, not from the bird or the storage.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:27 pm »
I agree with everyone else, I would happily eat a week old chicken from the fridge too.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
I hung a turkey for 30 days last year and i'm still alive  ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:06 pm »
Thanks all! Reckoned the supermarket chickens must be a couple of days old before they hit the shelf but thought it best to ask the experts. Not sure I'll extend the turkeys to a month before Christmas but good to know they'll not have to be sorted on Christmas eve either!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS