Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: showing a ewe with an unweaned lamb  (Read 1895 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
showing a ewe with an unweaned lamb
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:06:35 am »
Hi, I am due to show a few sheep and am wondering the best approach to a ewe whose lamb is only just three months old. I don't forcibly wean my ewe lambs but am I likely to experience problems  if the dam is away at a show for a day and I then put them back together? I am wondering if I could be inviting mastitis?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: showing a ewe with an unweaned lamb
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:37:01 am »
I've always taken the lamb along, penned it with its mother, and then shown her on her own, so she's only away from her lamb whilst in the ring. Lots of people, at shows i've been at, do this.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:26 am »
I have the option not to show the ewe, which I am considering. My concern with taking the lamb along is that it exposes a youngster to a day of stress and close proximity to a wide range of other sheep and all the potential for picking up other things which go with that.  If I'm not risking mastitis I would be happy to take the ewe and leave the youngster at home.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »
Would it not be more stessful leaving it home alone rather than taking it with its mum though?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:45:17 pm »
I'm not sure it would be more stressful  at home but stressful perhaps. Although  the lamb was separated yesterday as she got on the wrong side of a gate whilst I had penned the sheep to do a few things. On familiar ground and with her friends alongside she showed no signs of missing her mum. 

atlanta

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Northants
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:01 am »
Please remember you are showing for your enjoyment.
If you're concerned about picking up disease ,then it's simple , don't go showing.
We show a lot , always take the lambs. We then wean early Aug. and allow 2weeks between shows ,before bringing related ewes and lambs back together for showing.
Hope this helps. David.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »
Hi David, thanks for your reply. I am considering taking the ewe to the show as part of our breed classification system means that in order to gain  breed registration they must go under a judge. The ewe will not actually be in the ring.
I worry over disease in an animal with an immature immune system  particularly when they are under stress.

No one has addressed my original question so i'm guessing that there would be a concern over the ewe developing  mastitis as a result of being away from her lamb and then put back with it. I usually lamb a little earlier and so this isn't generally a problem.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »
Mastitis should not be a problem ,  when you shear large flocks  you often shed the lambs and they are off for 24hrs  , my own hill has to be separate for 48-56 hrs  , this causes no problems

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 01:58:05 pm »
thank you  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS