Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: trimming pigs feet  (Read 2072 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
trimming pigs feet
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:02:48 am »
What  do you use to trim your pigs feet? my Kune girls toe nails are getting a bit long and need a bit of a trim. I have tried foot rot shears but they just slide off. I've also tried with a coarse file but it take forever so what will cut what feels like thick rubber? :pig:

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: trimming pigs feet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:03 am »
What  do you use to trim your pigs feet? my Kune girls toe nails are getting a bit long and need a bit of a trim. I have tried foot rot shears but they just slide off. I've also tried with a coarse file but it take forever so what will cut what feels like thick rubber? :pig:

hi Devonlady..

We usually use fot rot shears but have also used a large pair of side cutters.. might be worth a try?  :)
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:17 am »
We use cow hoof toe nippers and normally do it while they snooze ;D
Mandy

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:19 pm »
Thank you. Have been lent some "proper" foot rot shears (and don't dare lose them!) so will have another go this evening when it is cooler and they are full of grub. They are very amiable though and don't object to you doing anything with them. Will let you know how I get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS