Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat Scratching Couch!  (Read 5864 times)

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Cat Scratching Couch!
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:39:57 pm »
Hi all, I would like to ask if any knows of a good deterent for cats, to stop scratching particular items in the house, and in my specific case the couch.

Our couch is virtually brand new having only got it 4 months ago, since then we got a cat, and instead of using the scratching post she has decided that the entire couch will do instead!, as the couch is made of a looped clothe you can imagine that it is very easy for her to get her claws under the loops and pull them out.

any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks

Adam

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Cat Scratching Couch!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »
Hi Adam, you can get deterrants from the pet shops but we've found that keeping a squirty water bottle or pistol nearby and aiming it at the cats soon stopped them. so long as they dont' see you creeping up  ;)
is the cat quite young? I'd also physically lift her when she goest o scratch the sofa and put her where you want him/her to scratch (ie the post) and keep the post away from the sofa.
good luck!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »
Double sided sticky tape or tin foil on her favourite spot.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »
OMG double sided sticky tape  :D  have just got visions of cat stuck to sofa's across the land going "ooh I wish I hadn't done this..."  must try it on bobby the kitten lol
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:50:33 pm »
 :D :D :D

It worked for us!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 09:23:54 pm »
The company of animals do a dedicated tape that attaches to furniture and walls etc that has a very rough surface to deter the cats..........can't post the link at present............

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »
Can't find it on there Ian, only three cat headings - toys, beds, grooming - not in any of those.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:17:27 am »
Can't find it on there Ian, only three cat headings - toys, beds, grooming - not in any of those.

Yep, I know.....frustrating 'cos we used to sell 'em....Will follow up on Monday.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »
my mum & dad used this tape stuff, seemed to work well... though she is the laziest cat in the world after Garfield, so it was probably just too much effort, scratching !  :)
Little Blue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:41 pm »
The strips that I mentioned are called

Paws Away cat strips from Cosmic Cat  :)

Ian

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »
Thank you all for your advice, I think we will try the water bottle and most likely the paw strips.

We have tried to pick her up but before we get near she runs off!, we have a scratch post but she has taken no notice of it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Adam

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:26 pm »
Thank you all for your advice, I think we will try the water bottle and most likely the paw strips.

We have tried to pick her up but before we get near she runs off!, we have a scratch post but she has taken no notice of it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Adam
okay putting things there to deter the cat, but it's normal cat behaviour, a form of territory marking as they have little glands at base of claws. It's the same as when they rub their faces along furniture etc & you wouldn't squit them with water for that! You got a cat - you got scratched furniture!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:53 am »
Cover the scratch post in cat nip - she won't ignore it then!  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:41 pm »
Cover the scratch post in cat nip - she won't ignore it then!  ;D
Neither of my cats liked catnip funnily enough!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16:30 pm »
LOL on sticky tape .. i'm going to have to try that .. I have a cat post .. neither of my cats are interested in .. this should be funny lol

Thanks for the tips

Sam

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS