Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lastnights OSB farrowings !  (Read 5828 times)

discus-mad

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Lastnights OSB farrowings !
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »
Have I read that right!
Is alastair, father of piglets, a half brother to mother of piglets, Dandy??

Looks that way. These sows were bought in pig to that boar . But she is going to be put back in pig to our new Jack boar .

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »
It's called line breeding, a little closer to the wire than I would do but it is quite acceptable and fairly common.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 07:28:10 pm »
Too close for my liking, acceptable or not!
It amazes me that the BPA registers them. Or maybe the onus should be on the owner/breeder not to litter notify the offspring , but then registered piglets command more money!!
I'm not looking for a fight here, but I personally find line breeding dispicable! Maybe I think too much of animals to have brother and sister mating. Was this not one of the situations that the Kennel Club found themselves chastised for?
Not acceptable or common on my farm!

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »
I agree with you, they are too closely related, but it is common. I have to say though I am surprised the Ansty herd is breeding pigs this closely related assuming they did come straight from the breeder guy?
Also Guy when is Arlene going to get round to registering with the BPA  - be a shame to miss out on registering quality gilts :-)

discus-mad

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:41 pm »
Too close for my liking, acceptable or not!
It amazes me that the BPA registers them. Or maybe the onus should be on the owner/breeder not to litter notify the offspring , but then registered piglets command more money!!
I'm not looking for a fight here, but I personally find line breeding dispicable! Maybe I think too much of animals to have brother and sister mating. Was this not one of the situations that the Kennel Club found themselves chastised for?

1. These sows were bought from David Norman ( Breed Representative ) and were running with the said boar at the time.
So not our idea to line breed.( I do tend to think he knows what he is doing ).
2. Wether registered piglets command more money .
I don't need to sell 1 piglet as we can use all we breed through our shop. I choose too , so others have stock to breed from .
Regards Guy

discus-mad

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 08:31:38 pm »
I agree with you, they are too closely related, but it is common. I have to say though I am surprised the Ansty herd is breeding pigs this closely related assuming they did come straight from the breeder guy?
Also Guy when is Arlene going to get round to registering with the BPA  - be a shame to miss out on registering quality gilts :-)
She has got things sorted Billy so will birth notified shortly.
Regards Guy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:45:10 pm by discus-mad »

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »
So not our idea to line breed.( I do tend to think he knows what he is doing ).

I didn't actually say you were to blame but it I furiates me that a breed representative does that. My election proposal application came in today, maybe I should change breed and oust him!!
Was it a sneaky curlywurly in the sty, and they kept their affair secret?
I'd never dream of coming on here condoning others practices but, again, not for me and not on my farm!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »

I think you are confusing line breeding with inbreeding.

Father to daughter; Mother to son; brother to sister is inbreeding
Uncle to niece, grandson to grandmother etc is line breeding.

Line breeding sets type and is practised by experienced breeders who know what is behind their lines.  They know, or should do, the faults as well as the good points they will create.  Inbreeding is certainly not condoned by the KC but the kc cannot force any breeder to use either method.  it can only advise and recommend.  It does that on a regular basis and always has done.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:20 am »
It was actually Billy who called it line breeding, but regardless of it's title, I don't feel it's acceptable for me!

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 11:30:53 am »
They're beautiful!  :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS