Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: compost questions...  (Read 5240 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: compost questions...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
Look up " the berkley 18 day hot composting method for a real good read of what you can and can't compost.
 I have seven of the council Dalek type lidded composting cones about 1920 mtrs from the house in the garden area ..  Mine are on smooth floated concrete for ease of turning one bin into another , working and for general keeping me and the area clean as weeds don't grow very well through  six inches of concrete .

It is a godsend in foul wet weather and as I have PIR flood light over the area dark winter night are not a problem .
To aerate the bins  to give the useful  bacteria & fungi  a lot more oxygen for a better composing action and retention of as much of the dried juices as possible , I simply rock the Dalek back and  forth till it loosens and the drag it up & off the pile .
Then it's a simple matter of slice off the outer sides ,drop that in to the middle of an empty Dalek and then add the remainder so that what was the outer edges is fully covered to enable you to rot down or kill all pernicious weeds & seeds. if you use a spray hose and damp the contents down as you rebuild this helps bring the internal temp up to about 150 oF for a few days on the first turning . subsequent turnings see the temp upper range diminish so that by the 18 day there will be an internal temp of just a few degrees above the ambient temperature. 
 One you get a pile in the 18 day cycle don't add anything other than the water spray as you rebuild the heap .

Compost made by the 18 day hot composting method is a fantastic well balanced material that can be stored for a couple of years in sealed poly sacks . If left in the Dalek the local worms will find their way in to it and consume it , turning the 18 day compost in to worm cast substance or a compost with a high worm cast content ..
This is magic stuff to use in your gardens both for flowers and for veg.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: compost questions...
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
what about shredding all the potato plants before composting? I'm thinking of buying a plastic compost bin, as the old compost bin has fallen to pieces, literally.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS