Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bow legged lamb!  (Read 2587 times)

Nuthurst

• Joined Aug 2014
Bow legged lamb!
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »
I've read this forum for a while and now I need some advice about a young lamb we have. 

I obtained a Shropshire lamb (born in April) which I was told had been rolled on by her mother.  She was bottle fed, tame and thought it would be a great companion for our orphan.  I was told that her back legs were bowed, but he had no trouble walking or getting around.  Unfortunately, as time has passed, walking seems more difficult and urine is dribbling and soaking her fleece and faeces are sticking to it.  I have dagged her and I am regularly washing her.  The poor thing was getting rather smelly!
I know that she will have to go.  She's eating and drinking and is part of the flock, but, in the meantime, I would be grateful for any advice in making things easier for her.
Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:25:13 am by Nuthurst »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bow legged lamb!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:11:28 am »

Sounds as if her spine was injured so she's lost control of her bladder, bowel and hind legs.

Really and truly, and I'm sure you know this, she needs to be euthenased as soon as possible.  To avoid stress for her it may be best to call a vet out to her.  However, we have found that our knackers, the guys who take deadstock off to the incinerator, are well trained in using a captive bolt, which is instant and your lamb will know nothing.  Cost won't be on your mind just now, but a vet callout is expensive, whereas for the knacker it's all part of the collection fee.

You must do the kindest thing for her, and do it straightaway - sad but that's livestock keeping   :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Bow legged lamb!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:29 am »
Sorry to hear this. It might be worth a call to your local hunt who will be able to put her out of her suffering and be a lot cheaper than having the vet to her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS