Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blank canvas for growing things!!  (Read 2998 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Blank canvas for growing things!!
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:10:36 am »
Hi,
I have abandoned a building project in the very early stages. I had the entire area- about 10 metres x 8 metres dug out in preparation to build a garage/workshop but found a maze of cables and pipes underneath. I've decided to relocate the workshop. As I had already ordered the stones I filled in the excavated area with the stones. Now I have a barren stoned area adjacent- a blank canvas so to speak. I am considering a series of raised beds/planters/pots. perhaps a few potatoes/strawberries and whatever else you suggest. Is it okay to construct these on top of the stones- i thought the stones would aid the drainage. What depth should my raised beds be above the stone area? Any suggestions, advice, ideas- all gratefully received.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Re: Blank canvas for growing things!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:44 pm »
Hi Declan,  yes it is ok to put the beds on top of the stones.The normal depth of a raised bed on a soil base should be a minimum of 12'' but in your case I would suggest a bit deeper. (18'').  Particularly if you wanted to grow deep rooted veg like spuds, carrots etc.  Just remember to include lots of organic matter to retain moisture if the site is free draining. Good luck.
JD

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:33:37 pm »
And if you want an easy less back breaking life you can make the raised beds even higher (mine were 2.5 feet)and put more stones in first so you don't use up too much soil.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:49:05 am »
Would you have to dig up the turf first before building up the bed?  Or could you put down either a membrane or just sheets of cardboard? 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »
I think Declan is using an area that has hardcore on it, but if you want to put raised beds on grass just put layers of newspaper or cardboard down to cut out the light and the grass dies back.  However, from this year's experience, if the raised bed is just a  few inches high, and you go away fro a few days, the grass comes up and over the sides and smothers anything in the raised bed
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »
the best way is to turn the grass layer and about 6 " of soil completely over , so the grass is laying upsidedown 6" below the surface . This not only kills all the grass , but allows you to see all the perennial weed roots , such as dock and dandelion , and remove them . Burying them won't kill them , they will just keep growing stronger and deeper. Grass must be turned upside down though and buried . That will kill all of it , unless any is left near the edge where light can get at it .

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS