Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: IAE weigh crates  (Read 5186 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
IAE weigh crates
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »
Anyone got a fairly recent IAE weigh crate, with mechanical scales?  I have one and the scales seem to be sticking - the problem seems to be in the scales themselves, it sticks at 10 or 20kg, or 40kg (or any other random number) if you push it hard enough.  If it gets a jolt then sometimes itt'll return to zero, or some other lower number, but mostly it just sticks.  I've detached the crate from the scale head but it still doesn't return to zero.  Anyone got any ideas, before I take it apart (if I dare!)?
Also, how is the arm thingi supposed to be set up, I'm pretty sure mine is set wrongly ... am I right in assuming it is supposed to perform some sort of zeroing function?

(Maybe I should have posted this under equipment but thought I'd have more luck with the sheepie peeps :D)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: IAE weigh crates
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:04:24 pm »
 :wave: Foobar,

I'll go out and have a look at our crate - but it is buried under a pile of fleeces (you know the story!) pm you later :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »
Thanks Bramblecot .  As it happens I figured out the arm lever thingi just a moment ago :).

And I've taken off the scale head, to have a closer butchers but it appears to be erm ... busted in some way, as the needle just won't return to zero, or anything near zero.  I've just whipped an email off to IAE for advice! :)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:02 am »

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:59 am »
I have ritchies sheep scales but look similar.

My thoughts are

There is an adjustment screw on the ritchies underneath the Gauge with which I can zero the scales. This has required a spray with WD 40 left for a while before trying to adjust.

If the Gauge will not Zero after that and IAE are not interested look up yellow pages for an instrument tech there is a few around that fix farming and industrial equipment.

The scales will need the crate attached to zero the gauge. Because zero weight should include the weight of the crate.

Secondly is the crate mechanism sticking or the actual gauge could be dirt on a crate runner or mechanism.

I usually calibrate mine with 2 x 25kg feed bags checking at zero (empty crate)

best done on a level floor.

25 kgs one feed bag set in the middle and at 50 kgs with a feed bag at either ens of the crate.
I think you can get false reading sticking two bags at one end.

I do not know if this is any help.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:20 am »
It's defo the scales, and yeah its not the adjustment screw, these are out by 40kg+ :).  IAE are getting in contact with Salter for me.  Thanks for the tip on finding a local tech - that's a good idea, and I will try that if they don't come back with anything positive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS