Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Glanvac 6 vaccine  (Read 3675 times)

Clanny

• Joined Jul 2014
Glanvac 6 vaccine
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »
Hello,
   Please has anyone used Glanvac 6 vaccine or Glanvac 3 vaccine in lambs aged 6 weeks or so? How did the lambs seem after vaccination? Did they seem unwell in any way, like after the Heptavac P jab can make them lethargic for a day or so. Any info from anyone who has used Glanvac 6 or Glanvac 3 in any age of sheep would be most welcome, as we are considering starting using this vaccine to try to eradicate Caseous Lymphadonitis (cheesy gland) in our flock. Thank you so much.
  Clanny  :sheep:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Glanvac 6 vaccine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:16:25 am »
Hello,

I take it you are aware you have to get a licence from downunder?
I would think that it would be similar to Heptavac so they may seem unwell.
Lastly, I bought some ewes that were vaccinated and we had one we thought had CLA and we couldn't blood test her as the vaccine would show positive. so had to get samples of the pus (was negative) but you cant just test your flock. I cant blood test and I Can only test something with lumps! Personally I would either cull anything you think may have it or sell/cull everything, give everything a good clean and start again! You have to be roofless with your culling. Nasty but true if you want to get rid of it :(

Good luck  :fc:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »
 You do realise that it is a zoonosis and humans can be infected , from everything iv'e read treatment is very unsuccessfull  and  vaccines in Australia and America only control by regular treatments not cure . 

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:01 pm »
You really need to involve your vet here & work out a proper plan to manage or eradicate cla. Using illegally imported vaccines could lead you into a lot of trouble.  Also poorly managed cla is a huge risk to your neighbours flocks etc as well as the potential zoonosis.  Theres some useful information on the moredun & sruc sites.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:34 am »
Is it illegal farmvet? I thought you could obtain a licence   from auz??

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:43 pm »
You need to obtain a licence from the vmd- vet medicine directorate, or rather your vet does as Glanvac is not licensed to use in the UK.  I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to import it or use it if obtained by any other route, including from a neighbour etc.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS