Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coop 'bedding'?  (Read 4011 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Coop 'bedding'?
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
I have finally run out of a bag of shavings that has lasted a long time now, as I just scatter a little under the perches to make the droppings easier/drier to scoop up when I clean out.  I also put some in the nest boxes tho they've not been used as nestboxes for a long time, they accumulate droppings too so are being roosted in and the laying is in another wee hutch or elsewhere.

So, before I buy another bag of shavings, I just wondered what everyone else uses, if anything?  I could put a bit of straw in the nestboxes as I have a couple round bales left from the winter, and leave the floor under the perches empty this time of year as they dry up in the heat anyway.  I would still dust the perch ends and corners with diatom obviously.  Just wondered if I was wasting money or if there was a better, cheaper product or no need at all?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Coop 'bedding'?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »
I use wood ash on the bottom or, when I run out of that, I sprinkle some easibed under the perches, also use the easibed for chicks and growers as its free draining and seems to keep them quite clean. A pal just uses old bits of lino that he drags out and scrapes off-then dusts with wood ash/stalosan/sharp sand and I might try that.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:06:49 pm »
My chooks are in a stone byte and I use beach sand on the floor, droppings are super easy to pick up, I just poo pick with a cat litter scoop every morning. I have tried builders sand but this doesn't work nearly as well, it stays damp for ages and clumps rather than fall freely through the holes in the scoop

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
I have sheet clear plastic on the floor of my inside hen run (an old dog run - dogs all inside now)  Pull it out teh door, replace with a clean sheet, barrow over to the compost bin, tip it in, hose the plastic down and leave to dry for the next change over.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »
Some great ideas here - I'm also still looking for the ideal 'bedding'/floor covering for my chicken house.
I have used shredded cardboard for a while on top of a layer of wood ash, which worked OK, but I found wood shavings easier to keep clean.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
we cover our floor with old cardboard boxes flattened and cut to shape/ by the time its ready for cleaning just roll it up and the lot goes for compost. neighbours give us any boxes and we always have a good store of them

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:22 pm »
I did use chopped hemp straw until the company went bust - now use flax straw. It's cut up so nice and soft. Many of my chickens don't roost so I have a good thick layer of it - and I use it for the ducks, geese and rabbits too. It's far more absorbent than straw or shavings and composts much more easily too.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:02:17 am »
We've started using newspaper under the perch, which is replaced every morning and composted. Wood shavings in the nest box with layers of paper underneath -started getting broken eggs because they dug out the wood shavings and the eggs hit the solid floor (they stand when they lay).

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:08 am »
Some great ideas thanks :)  I have plenty wood ash in winter but not in summer, so will try newspapers or cardboard while I don't need any for the fire. 

It's handy to have something more compostable as shavings had to go in the brown bin they take so long to rot down.

Thanks again
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:18:49 pm »
Hello,

I work for the local council and often aquire huge bags of shredded paper from the shredder to use on the floor of the chicken coop.  It's really easy to compost too.

Lynn

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »
I put down a split feed sack, weighted at the corners with blocks of sandstone (very smooth), around brick size.  I use dust-extracted  shavings on top.  When I clean out I carefully lift the stones - any red mite will hide underneath as it's more convenient than perch ends or the walls of the coop.  If I see any I set the stones straight into a bucket of water, carefully lift out the sheet and shavings and burn the lot straight away.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:02 pm »
I use FreshBed (I think?) it is in a bale type bag like shavings and is for hens, I like it and is not too expensive.  Lasts ages.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
Our guys perch on an old pallet, I sprinkle straw around it, clean the lot out once a week.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS