Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Craneflies in the polytunnel?  (Read 1898 times)

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
Craneflies in the polytunnel?
« on: June 24, 2014, 07:32:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I seem to have a cranefly brothel going on in my polytunnel.  I dont know much about them and everyone i ask say they bury there eggs in grass and the larvae eat the grass roots. 

Does anyone know if they are a danger in the tunnel?  Most of my plants are mature and any new plants are raised in modules and planted out when they have grown a bit.

If they are a danger to any particular type of plant what should I do to control them - I am tying to be as organic as possible.

Thank you

Caracroft    :brocolli:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Craneflies in the polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:31:14 am »
They'll eat all your nice little juicy seedlings from the bottom up! Kill all leather jackets at sight... I think that's the only way to get rid of them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:28 pm »

As Ina says, kill leatherjackets.  These are the larval stage of the crane fly, live just under the soil and eat your plants (especially those lovely pot raised juicy fresh ones  :o) from the roots up.  You will see that something's at work because your plants will keel over, often several in a row.
To find the leatherjackets, you need to scratch around in the soil around the roots, and any grey fat squashy things you find - squash them  :thumbsup:  You might also find them as you dig your soil over in the winter.  hens love them  :chook:  People hate them  :rant:  In the pasture, birds such as starlings and corvids search them out and seem to find loads.  The adults should really be destroyed as well to prevent them laying more eggs.

Craneflies do normally live and reproduce in pasture, so tend to be most numerous in newly converted veg beds, created from pasture or rough ground.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »
when i find them they get thrown to the chooks, no more leatherjacket...

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:06:48 pm »
Thanks everyone, i will be scanning the soil as I weed and see how I go - have several chickens so they are in for a nice protein rich treat lol!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS