Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken with lame leg  (Read 9760 times)

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
Chicken with lame leg
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:58:47 pm »
Hi, I hope you chaps can help. One of our chiockens has damaged its leg. I found her out of the pen so fear she has had a run in with an animal. She is very lame and is walking on the front of her hock (ankle). When you hold her it looks OK and she is not flapping or distressed but it doesn't go to floor claws down, they remain tucked backwards. Difficult to describe. She is eating and drinking. I am worried she has broken it or snapped the tendon. Any ideas anyone and is it the end of the road if things don't improve do you think?
I introduced two new ones yesteday and this caused some disquiet, they keep pecking and fighting so I wonder if she took flight to escape?
Very sad.
Thanks in advance.  >:(Sal

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: Chicken with lame leg
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:06:55 am »
I have had chickens in the past like this and I tend to just wait and see for a few days. Most of the time they improve on their own. As long as they are eating and drinking they should be OK. Let me know if there is any change. :chook: :)
Karen

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:41:40 pm »
We had one that injured its leg and it just flapped from the 'knee' joint down.  We waited to see how it went because she too was eating and drinking normally.  She hopped around for about two/three weeks and then we noticed that every so often she would take weight on it for a second or two. The time built up and it took about three months, but she was eventually good as new.  Be patient,  the likely hood is that she too will recover in her own time. Just keep an eye on her just incase your new ones pick on her slightly. If you feel that she in vunerable put her in a run for a while.  She will still have contact with the others, but will be safe as well.

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:12:37 pm »
Thanks Kate/Karen  - I never thought I would worry about the chickens. The pigs yes, but somehow I have grown quite fond of these feathered friends. Very encouraging. Sal

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:45:13 am »
Quick up date - the chicken spent a couple of nights in the dog cage duly fed and watered and then yesterday in a small run outside. She has turned her claws round and whilst still limping badly seems to be on the mend. More rescilient than I gave her credit for. Thanks Sal

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:01:04 pm »
Good news - glad to hear your worries are now not gone but reduced.  It is nice to know that others are as dotty as me.  I worry about them all which does annoy John sometimes but hey ho, that's me!

Kate  :pig: :sheep: :chook: :goat: :turkey: :dog: :cat: :horse::and duckies and geese!
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS