Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving to Scotland  (Read 4178 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Moving to Scotland
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:54:06 pm »
Hi

We are thinking of moving from Norfolk to anywhere in scotland, the idea is only in it's early stages but I wanted an idea of price range or availabilty of smallholding type properties for very long term lease - Only a couple of acres needed for donkey, pony & sheep but would need 4 / 5 bedrooms & to be somewhere quiet...

Any advice / suggestions?
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Moving to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:20 pm »
Prices vary considerably from one area to another, as does availability. Best thing I can suggest is you look on the various country estate agent websites. Remember that in Scotland we have an 'offers over' system, and if there is a lot of interest it can go to sealed bids.  The premium on asking prices is nothing like as much as it used to be but that again can vary between areas.
You would also be wise to instruct a Scottish based Lawyer for the purchase.

http://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/rural-properties-for-sale/scotland/page-8/

http://www.bellingram.co.uk/properties/sale?price=3

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/uk/scotland/sales
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:09 pm »
http://www.ckdgalbraith.co.uk/

these people cover the whole country and do rural...

give them a look over

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

There's a property just along the road from us which went on the market about half an hour ago (well that's when the sign went up)  Equestrian with stables and arena, but perhaps more ground than you want.  Right number of bedrooms and well off the road.........

I put the link in Marketplace.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »
Do it!  We moved to Scotland a year ago and love it.  We relocated to Caithness from Somerset and have a 5 bedroom place (needs a 'bit of work') with nearly 10 acres.  We paid less for this than our former home which was a 3 bed town house.
There are many challenges but the good far outweigh the bad.  Space to think, room to breathe, 10 Jacob sheep, 21 chucks and 6 ducks!  Our dream became a reality with just a little planning and a shed load of courage.  Good luck, I really hope that you manage to do it  :fc: x

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:09:31 am »
I moved from Birmingham to orkney in April. I absolutely love it up here and feel like I've been hear forever. It was our budget that took us here but I'm so glad now. It's great for the kids especially.

We found our place online, there are three estate agents in Orkney, Lows, Orkney property centre and Drever and griddle. Sorry, can't do links with my kindle.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:32:36 am »
I don't think you're likely to get much to lease outwith the crofting counties and crofts have to be run as agricultural holdings.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »
Thank you everyone - I suppose all we can do is keep saving & try to buy, hubby is a builder so can do a place up while we rough it for a while, Nice to hear that some of you have taken the plunge & love being up there  :thumbsup:   We will keep looking & try various estate agents etc - A house to go along with a job for hubby would be handy, but with 4 kids it would have to be a good size one!
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:21 pm »
We have moved up to grantown on spey and like it, have just bought 2 acres but it was expensive because the shooting estates have a stranglehold on the land and I've not seen anything to rent in the 3 years we have been here

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS