Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cleaning duck eggs, and a few piccies :-)  (Read 3120 times)

poppy

• Joined May 2009
cleaning duck eggs, and a few piccies :-)
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:01:43 pm »
Hi all,

As mentioned previously 2 of my 3 khaki campbell ducks are laying daily. I just wanted some advice on cleaning the eggs. I had been running them under the tap but have since found out that's perhaps not a good thing to do as the shells are more porous than chicken eggs and the bacteria may go into the egg. Not really sure what the best way to clean them is, I want them to be safe for my young nephews (as well as the rest of us!).

The noisey one!  ::)

Enjoying the rain  :)

Also, being a novice duck keeper I'm not sure what sort of weight the ducks should be. They are by no means plump, they're breast bone is quite prominent when you pick them up. I have given them the stuff for internal parasites a few times. Would they need worming? They look healthy so I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing.  :-\

Thank you in advance.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: cleaning duck eggs, and a few piccies :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »
they look healthy to me.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
Khaki campbells are the duck worlds equivalent of the hybrid layer. They do get fairly big but not especially meaty.If they are active happy well fed and laying i think you're doing ok.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:52:39 pm »
Use a bit of very fine wire wool to clean your eggs, no water. Rub very gently and all the dirt will come off.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »
when i sell mine i say the dirt etc comes with free range, noone is bothered about some dirt but by cleaning they could become dodgy, try getting them to lay on some straw area between 2 straw bales with a piece of wood for a roof that keeps them clean, always leave a china egg in the laying area or they will lay anywhere.

poppy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:20:26 am »
Thank you. I never knew about using a china egg to keep them laying in the same spot! The eggs usually are in a similar area but sometimes a bit random. It's actually a chicken coup which I have for them with adjoining run so I just shut them in the run at night so they have a bit of freedom. They have always slept huddled in the nesting box on the side! So now that they are laying the eggs can be found in the main area of bedding, a bit backwards! They have shavings not straw as I find it's easier to clean out, each day I just pick the muck out which on takes a few minutes and saves on having to do a big muck out each week. I suppose straw would be nicer to make a nest out of but it was just messy and difficult to clean out without taking the whole lot out.

The eggs are generally clean, hopefully if I can keep them laying in the same spot the eggs won't get mixed up with the muck. Funny things ducks are, I can watch them for hours!!!! Three is enough for me though, I don't know how any of you cope with more! They've also shown the dog who's boss, Milly my spaniel won't go in the garden when they're out and about!

Next project is to just make some adaptions to their end of the garden so it doesn't all end up as a muddy swamp over the winter. I think it's inevitable though!

Thanks again for all your advice. I will be back for more soon!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS