Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suggestions please!  (Read 4135 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Suggestions please!
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:20:07 pm »
A friend of mine is wanting me to replant her garden.  The only criteria is that all flowers must be red.  The garden is a typical urban rectangular garden.

The plants on the right are 2 Camelias, 1 Paeony (photo doesn't show these), Catoniasta, Spirea, Silver Birch.  The plants in the left border are all Ground Elder, which as you can see, I have been trying to tackle!

So my question is do you have any suggestions of what to plant?  I would also like to have some red foliage in it too.  I have lots of ideas - dogwood, heuchera, penstemon, Rudbekia e.t.c. but know that you guys will come up with some brilliant ideas.

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
Re: Suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »
I can see it
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:39:59 pm »
Japanese maples (obviously!) but get several different sorts
cannas
dahlias (bishop of landaff)
nasturtiums
berberis
loads of tulips, lilies, crocosmia
cotinius coggygria
godetia firelight
poppies (papaver comm. 'ladybird')
astible
heuchera
thistle (cirsium rivulare 'Atropurpureum' is really bright!)  or 'Cardoon'
Sedum
japanese bloodgrass
runner beans, tomatoes, chili pepper,

Surely she'll need something to tone it down abit though?  Abit of green to relax the eyes, or at least something like Cineria or festuca grasses.
Too much red can make you aggressive you know!!
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »
She has a square cut out in the patio and was thinking of sticking a Japanese Maple there.  Loads of ideas Ruth Thank you.  It also needs to be relatively low maintenance so Dahlias are possible if there is a particularly sheltered spot as they won't be getting lifted.  Some Tulips have already been planted in the front garden.  I love Cotinius and Astilbe, but don't know Godetia Firelight - I'll look it up.  She does want green, but I would like to add in a little red foliage without going mad.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »
Have you got a programme to draw it out?  This was done in a couple of minutes on Show off Home Design - a free programme
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:31:19 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:34 am »
Too much red can make you aggressive you know!!
And hungry ! It stimulates the appetite  :o Sorry for that piece of useless info ;)

The only thing I would add to little blue's suggestions would be a boston ivy for covering the wooden fence and providing a haven for little birds and beasties ;D

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:36 pm »
Hi MM, crocosmia 'Lucifer' has beautiful tall scarlet flowers in late summer early autumn.
JD

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »
That's in for sure JD.  No, Doganjo I have no idea what that is or how you do it!  I'm not techno minded, but could be fun to learn to do to show my friend what her garden could look like!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »
Here's the link to download the programme.  It's easy to use. http://download.cnet.com/Showoff-Home-Design/3000-18499_4-10462476.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:58 pm »
Thanks will give it  a go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS