Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 Limping Lambs  (Read 2913 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
2 Limping Lambs
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »
2 Lambs, twins, just over 4 weeks old (with mum). Each lamb became lame on one front leg/foot during the evening, next morning each lamb also lame on a rear leg/foot.

Feet checked, a very small damp clear area up in the clove, got special spray for sheep feet which, since initial application, we have used twice more on each foot. Have found the odd bit of poo in the clove but nothing untoward. The field isn't wet or boggy, but if there is something gloopy to be stood in, they seem to put their foot in it.

Vet gave oral antiB (said give for 4 / 5 days), The 5 days have passed, some improvement but both still lame. No heat in legs, no obvious swelling.

They aren't keen to follow mum around the field, but are nursing and eating creep.

Unsure what this could be. Before I go back to vet again, anything I can try?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: 2 Limping Lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »
Joint ill springs to mind, I had an older lamb go down with it a few weeks back. 1ml per 10kg of Alamycin every 3 days and kept in to rest, she was in for 2 weeks but is fine now.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:50:35 pm »
Joint Ill sprang to my mind, too.  Only ever had one lamb with this but the vet prescribed immediate aggressive antibiotic treatment and she was fine a week later.  I didn't breed from her though.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:30:01 pm »
Thanks guys. That's what we had it down as too but the stuff we had just not doing the job. Vet been back, we have different antiB, vits.

Marches Farmer, why no breeding from your lamb? This ram is new here, could it have been passed down through him?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »
I would say it's more because they may have a weakness/slight arthritis in the joints which may manifest itself more if they are in lamb and rather round? You don't want to breed from stock that is not 100%. Did you iodine the lambs' navels after birth?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS