Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting with your spun yarn  (Read 2093 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Knitting with your spun yarn
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:02:22 am »
As a follow up to Fleecewife and Sally's article on spinning, I have volunteered and been accepted by Rosemary to write an article on using the yarn you have spent so much time producing. Could you all offer suggestions for things that would be useful? I have some ideas, but would like to make this as inclusive and useful as possible, especially for newer knitters. I do quite a lot of sorting knitting problems over the internet with my daughter who is a rapidly progressing novice knitter!  :knit: Thanks

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Knitting with your spun yarn
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:36 am »
Thats very nice, thanks Louise.
Its relatively easy to use your spun yarn for things like scarves which don't need to be a specific size but it would be useful to know how to adapt a pattern for use with your own yarn (as my yarn never resembles anything bought from the shops)
Explaining wpi would be good.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:18:05 am »
I agree with Bionic although I do have a little wooden measure that you wind the wool round and round and count the number of threads. My spun wool is not very even yet so how to compensate for that would be useful.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:45 am »
I have yet to be brave enough to knit up any of my "art yarn" . That's the next project.
Ideas for small skein projects might be handy.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:12:44 am »
Thanks for the replies. All suggestions gratefully received! I know from my limited experience with spinning, the prospect of producing sufficient yardage for a large sweater can be a bit daunting, but I am mentally putting together a framework for an article.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS