Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasteuriser  (Read 2740 times)

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
Pasteuriser
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »
I originally put this in equipment but realised it might be better here.  I am looking for a pasteuriser for goats milk but that would also do apple juice in the autumn. I can find various ones on websites but wondered if anyone can recommend a make from personal experience. I would only be doing reasonably small quantities of milk as it is just from one or two goats. When the apple juice needs doing then I can just do it in batches as there is a limit to how much we can press at a time.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Pasteuriser
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:05:32 am »
I've got the big one from Vigo. It holds 14 bottles of apple juice which is why we got it. Would you pasteurise the milk in bottles too? We used mine for a PTA event to keep milk warm for hot chocolate and it burnt on the bottom so I don't know whether it would work if you want to just have the milk in there but should be fine in glass bottles like apple juice. It did work very well for witches brew at Halloween though - that didn't burn! Anyhow, it's quite a big pasteuriser so it may be too big for what you need. You can probably do the same with a pan full of hot water with a stand in the bottom - but the advantage of mine is you can set the temperature and the time and it does the rest for you.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 03:56:06 pm »
When we Pasturized milk we Put the milk in a Pan and heated it uP to about, I think, 60 c then it was Pasturized.
Personally raw milk is much better for you and Pasturizing kills off all the vitamins. 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
Why do you want to pasteurise the milk? If it is for sale you almost certainly won't be able to use one for pasteurising food stuffs other than milk in it.

I only ever pasteurise milk when I make a new cheese starter culture, so about once every two months. For everything else I use raw milk - never had a problem.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:32 am »
I have bought one secondhand (like new) it is a warm master deluxe, I think it was originally purchased from Ascot catalogue and if not there are similar ones in it.  Although I haven't used it as goat not kidded yet the woman who I bought it off was very happy with it and wasn't really sure if she wanted to sell it.  It can be used as it is but she also bought an insert for it which if you are doing milk/apples might be a good idea for you, it isn't massive but its not small either ideal for a couple or so of milking goats which is what she had. In a few weeks I will be able to comment better as I will have used it myself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS