Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strawberries!  (Read 2620 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Strawberries!
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »
I bought in a load of strawberry plants a few weeks ago and now they are heavily laden with fruit, so it looks as if it'll be a good harvest this year. I have netted them, so that the birds cannot get to them. The problem is I have 3 strawberry plants left, 2 are everbearer, should I build another patch for them or plant them with the fruit bushes, which would be best?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Strawberries!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »
I've got mine everywhere - I just replant the runners wherever I've got space - so I wouldn't worry. Certainly got them all round the fruit bushes. Our started ripening back in May and there have been so many I've taken the nets off because the birds are all strawberried out! As are my children - this is the first year I've been able to make jam from our own fruit - collected 4kg the other day which made a good bit but ready to harvest again now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:09 pm »
You could plant the tailenders in a large pot and put it near your door for a snack when you can't be bothered to go to the strawberry patch  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:12 pm »
I ate my first two home grown strawberries of the season today. Boy did they taste good.  :yum: :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS