Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pear disease ID , please  (Read 3912 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
pear disease ID , please
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:20:16 pm »
I hope it can be seen well on the pics. My Comice pear was doing absolutely fine up to the wilting of fabulous blossom. Whatever it is is now affecting the leaves near the blossom. Any ideas and rescue tips would be welcome!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: pear disease ID , please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:07 pm »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:26 pm »
It looks like lichen on the branches but not so sure about the buds.

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:42 pm »
Blossom wilt?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »
it's not mildew. When I put my glasses on and turn over a leaf, there seems to be a fine web underneath and I can detect some brownish tinies - has anyone ever had mites on a fruit tree?????

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:15:56 am »
I had a traw around on the net but couldn;t find a mite species of fruit trees that has the webbing appearance you mention.
I had woolly aphids on an apple tree once.. but they're big enough to be obvious once you smear out the woolly stuff.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:28:12 am »
Thanks, that's probably it!  :bouquet: Now what did you do? The RHS site only gives chemical sprays as an antidote and I've never done that  - or natural predators ( I will gently guide any ladybirds there, should I find any...)....Would a soft soap spray possibly help or do the beast have a shell?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:27:52 am »
woolly aphids are quite large whereas mites are tiny. They're also greenish coloured and have themselves wrapped in that tiny cocoon.

If that is what you have then i treated mine with the wife's eco washing up liquid (saponins) and some cooking oil mixed and diluted in water. One spray wasn't much help so i sprayed them daily a few days and it did shift. It was a 7foot high espaliered red devil apple tree (12 foot wide espalier). It only had them that one year. My only other trees at that time were a cox and a conference both were unaffected.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:21:13 pm »
I had a trawl through my fruit tree book and found a variety of mites but none of them seemed to concentrate on the flowers - more the leaves. So woolly aphid does seem to fit more. I've got wax sticky strips round my fruit tree trunks to stop the ants farming the aphids but I don't know whether that applies to woolly aphids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS